Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   quadro FX 3450 card issues? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33617)

Rhetoric Camel 17-01-2010 08:53 PM

quadro FX 3450 card issues?

Does anyone else on these forums have this graphics card? If so I was wondering if you are also having issues watching 1080p hd videos on youtube? I am, it's like a jumpy slideshow trying to watch them, and not just on youtube but also the videos on my hard drive. I have an HD camera and the 720 play smooth on my computer but the larger 1080 are jumpy and looks like I'm watching a slideshow of pictures.

Just curious if it's my graphics card or not.

Computer:
Windows XP SP3
Intel Pentium 4
3.50gb RAM
3.2GHz
Nvidia Quadro FX 3450

I've scanned and taken care of viruses, malware, and spyware on my computer. I've cleaned the hdd as much as I can and I've done a defrag. None of which has helped. It's an issue in Firefox, IE, and videos straight off the HDD. Videos seem to play fine on my girlfriends Duo core pc... wondering if maybe it's just because I'm still using "old" technology. Or if maybe it's just my graphics card? I got this card because it's under the recommended list for maya, hasn't caused issues until recently with hd. Also kind of happens to all flash on the internet lately to. I am up to date with flash also, and all my drivers are up to date to.

Any ideas? I've been all over looking for help and would do a hijack this log if anyone can help me with all of that since I don't know what any of it means when I do it. If you can help with that pm me we can do it through there.

Edit: here is the video that I uploaded to youtube just to test out my new camera's hd and to see it on youtube. It works fine on my girlfriends duo core 64-bit but not on my computer. If the hd button isn't clicked on it plays fine but once the HD is clicked on then it turns to garbage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIucZ7IKsZ0 nothing special just some snow falling in my backyard.

NextDesign 18-01-2010 05:14 AM

Re: quadro FX 3450 card issues?

Quote:

Originally posted by Rhetoric Camel
Computer:
Windows XP SP3
Intel Pentium 4
3.50gb RAM
3.2GHz
Nvidia Quadro FX 3450

Two problems. No it isn't your video card, as it's not doing any processing while watching videos, just drawing it onto the screen.

Your problem is with your CPU, and OS.

Non-64 bit OSes can only see 3 gigs of ram tops. Some can see 4 through a motherboard setting; but I don't think this is the problem, as I've seen 2 gb machines play 1080p.

I think the problem you are having is with your CPU. I have a 2.5 GHz Pentium 4, and I have the same problem as you. Your CPU can just not keep up with the sheer amount of data that 1080p contains.

For example:

1280 x 720 = 921600 pixels
1920 x 1080 = 2073600 pixels

100 x (921600 / 2073600) = 44% more pixels than 720p.

Your CPU just can't take it.

stwert 18-01-2010 05:20 PM

Re: Re: quadro FX 3450 card issues?

Quote:

Originally posted by NextDesign
100 x (921600 / 2073600) = 44% more pixels than 720p.
Your CPU just can't take it.

Other way around... more than double the pixels!! But your point stands :)

Rhetoric Camel 18-01-2010 10:17 PM

alright thank you very much, I was pretty much set with that being the explanation but felt the need for confirmation from someone else. Looking into buying a new computer but don't even know where to start and can't really go out of the $1500 range, psu and graphics card don't need to be great because I'll be replacing stock psu with my 550watt (unless the new computer is better than that) and I'll be replacing my graphics card with this one.

Thanks again for the help I appreciate it.

Chirone 18-01-2010 11:45 PM

in that case why not just buy the parts you need?

Rhetoric Camel 19-01-2010 12:27 AM

I don't know much about building a computer, and ordering all the separate parts from different places just seems a hassle to me... unless it's easier than I think it is... I don't even know where to start on that either.

NextDesign 19-01-2010 04:56 AM

What is your price range? You can get quite a good computer for around $1500

Less than that if you already have some components.

Chirone 19-01-2010 06:18 AM

i watched my friend build my computer, it didn't seem that hard...

although i went to put in a card reader by myself and it took me a very long time because i didn't know how to make a slot for it in the case....

you need a friend who will put the pieces for you together!
it's not too too hard trying to figure out what you need, given what you want to keep you just need a new processor, ram, motherboard, case (i'd assume if you have cd/dvd/blu ray drives you'd keep that, and the thing you use to connect to the internet, and the harddrive unless the motherboard wont accept whatever the harddrive uses to connect to the itself)

not sure what else you need...

you probably wouldn't need to go all over the place looking for the pieces either, just avoid the online only shops and ones that look like they'll just take your money and run

and if you can't find a friend who will piece the stuff together there's probably people on the internet who will tell you

Gen 19-01-2010 06:14 PM

I really like the whole process of building a new PC and that's something I didn't think would happen initially. Once you get a good grasp of it, there will be less headaches in the long run and it'll save you cash, so I say go for it. After dealing with some hit and miss stores, I've been shopping at Newegg (online joint) for some years now and they've always been reliable and pretty fast (lol that sounds like a plug but since you said you didn't know where to start I thought I'd share my experience).

It's easy enough to get help online to find out what are good and compatible combos but as Chirone said, see if you can get a buddy to assemble or at the very least slap your hand away if you're about to do something stupid.

stwert 19-01-2010 06:22 PM

Yeah, the real pro side to not getting a pre-built machine is that you get exactly the components you want. Often the assembled machines will have some highlighted parts like the CPU or GFX card, but then the power supply or mobo will be crap. (This is a random assumption on my part unsubstantiated by personal experience). Hope it helps.

Gen 19-01-2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by stwert
Yeah, the real pro side to not getting a pre-built machine is that you get exactly the components you want. Often the assembled machines will have some highlighted parts like the CPU or GFX card, but then the power supply or mobo will be crap. (This is a random assumption on my part unsubstantiated by personal experience). Hope it helps.
I hear that. I see that way too often, fast cpus with an amount of RAM that seems like an afterthought all slapped on an ambiguous motherboard with a layout that doesn't give much room for upgrade, not to mention the preinstalled bloatware, bleh. Plus who doesn't like picking out a bad ass looking case to house all their sexy components.:D

NextDesign 19-01-2010 10:34 PM

It's just as simple as picking out parts however. You need to make sure that they are compatible with each other, speeds, etc. If you give us a ball-park amount you are willing to spend, we can go from there.

Also, my friend, who has never even opened up a computer in his life, managed to put together his new computer in under 2 hours. Just don't shock the components! :D

Gen 19-01-2010 11:19 PM

I wouldn't say that's the general experience, I know people who wasted $$ because they didn't even realize when they broke something, like the little snap you feel when you install a video card is completely different than a snap that happens when you force a huge video card in and break off a sata port that's in use, only to smell the motherboard burning when the machine starts up. Sloppy water cooling installations etc Sometimes things get tricky and inexperience can cost you.

Rhetoric Camel 20-01-2010 12:56 AM

thank you everyone for your response

I don't have much money right now, I'm kind of including my tax money already although I don't know what I'm getting back and what I'll have to spend out of it, but I'm estimating with what I have saved now and what I'll be able to spend, roughly $1500 is what I would like to spend.

I don't play many games on the computer and would like it to be able to handle maya and hd videos without being choppy. Other than that not much for preferences. I'm not against building one on my own, pretty much just slightly intimidated, I've worked on computers a little bit here and there for friends that need help changing things out but never actually put one together from scratch.

Basically I'm not computer hardware illiterate, I know the do's and don'ts and I do have a grounding strap that I use whenever I work on a computer.

Gen 20-01-2010 01:17 AM

Oh well pshh if you got it like that to have grounding straps and stuff you shouldn't worry, go for it.