Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Materials & Textures (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Now, I'm going to start texturing nurbs! But... (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1402)

undseth 02-10-2002 03:08 PM

Now, I'm going to start texturing nurbs! But...

I have designed a house that has nurbs walls, that i want to texture.

The nurbs surface has holes in it.

I want to be able to make the texture in photoshop, and then apply it to the nurbs-surface.

I know that polygon-models can be unwrapped, but this is a nurbs-surface.

How do I unwrap this cylindrically shaped surface? Or how do I prepare for texturing in photoshop?

I want to texture the wall, so that i can assign the bricks and weather them at special places on the wall. But accuracy is needed.

How do I go about this? I find texturing horrifying.

mtmckinley 02-10-2002 03:30 PM

I have a nurbs texturing tutorial at my site that goes over one method of doing so. The thing to remember about the difference of nurbs and poly textures is that for polys, you can adjust the UVs to fit the texture, but for nurbs, you have to adjust the texture to fit the nurbs UVs.

Address to my site in my sig... :)

undseth 02-10-2002 03:40 PM

Oh, i found out something that help a little.

1 Attachment(s)
Here i assigned a texture to a surface, and painted it in maya and photoshop.

BUT

The texture assignment is preset to a proportion, say 256x1000, so when i open the saved texture in photoshop the image is stretched it seems.

undseth 02-10-2002 04:15 PM

Ooh a new maya site :) i love that!

But, I guess i must calculate the proportions of this wall of mine more closely before assigning texture size.

mtmckinley 02-10-2002 05:58 PM

Even on non-square surfaces, Maya generally tends to use square shaped textures.

undseth 02-10-2002 07:16 PM

I managed to make some bricks!

1 Attachment(s)
I used FormZ to make a wall with easy brick texturing. Then i saved the orthagonical pic and opened it in photoshop to clip out protions of the image and paste it into a bigger and less-tiling-like wall.

I calculated the proportions for the pic to be made in photoshop, and then overwrote the assigned texture file, given to the nurbs-wall.

BUT Maya wont allow you to set an exact texture file to attach to the object. Maya assignes texturemaps in magnitude of 256, 512, 1024 etc... pixels.

So I have now a small gap, which can be seen in the pic below.

But i guess i can figure out how to alter the placement of my "perfectly proportioned" texture file.

undseth 02-10-2002 07:21 PM

I also have two additional problems now;

1) I could not seem to paint the brick-texture in maya, properly; my strokes ended up somewhere else on the brick-wall. It never painted at the cursors position.
What could be the problem here?

2) Somehow my other objects in the project lost their shader (?)
They turned black and wont render.
How do i fix this?

adldesigner 02-10-2002 07:22 PM

That looks great!

See if you can apply a bump texture, it´ll make those bricks come to life!

Great work! Keep on it!

undseth 02-10-2002 08:11 PM

Color and Bump map (same map)

1 Attachment(s)
I used the same map in lack of any better, but it dont look too bad i think.

This time the color and bump was arranged by dragging the initial map onto the shader twise.