Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   dimension lines in Maya ? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31932)

deleteallusers 19-02-2009 08:08 PM

dimension lines in Maya ?

I need to make some drawings that use dimension lines in Maya.

How do I make dimension lines in Maya.

Are they any built in dimension lines features?
Or must I actualy draw them from scratch ?

Thanks,

arran 20-02-2009 12:50 PM

you're going to need to be a bit more specific - what do you mean by dimension lines? what exactly are you trying to do? maybe post a picture.

deleteallusers 22-02-2009 09:17 PM

Friend,

The term "Dimension line" is absolutely specific to the question.

it is...
A line used to define the measurement of a part feature. Dimension lines consist of a solid line with arrows at both ends and a dimension in the center.

honestdom 22-02-2009 10:28 PM

Friend,

the drawing of such a line in said app is/is not an uncomplicated task.

arran 22-02-2009 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by deleteallusers
Friend,

The term "Dimension line" is absolutely specific to the question.

it is...
A line used to define the measurement of a part feature. Dimension lines consist of a solid line with arrows at both ends and a dimension in the center.

when i said be specific i meant that you should explain what it is exactly that you want to do.

do you want to add dimension lines to an existing still image? in which case use photoshop.

or are you making an animation and literally want 3D representations of dimension lines?

or are you just trying to measure part of a model? in which case try looking under measuring tools.

as maya is a 3d program you don't really use dimension lines. so without explaining what it is you want to do, it's difficult to advise you.

deleteallusers 23-02-2009 03:29 PM

Thanks,

"or are you making an animation and literally want 3D representations of dimension lines?"

YES

I want to add the lines to a 3D Box with a texture so I can rotate it and have the lines move to the new position and show up
when it is rendered.

Looks like the only way would be to create and add the dimension lines as an object in the scene ?

Right ?

I'm real new to maya and know little about it's features.

Thank you very much for your help,

:beer:

arran 23-02-2009 04:17 PM

no problem :)

ok, now we're going. so, I think what i would do is use the make polygon tool to draw out the shape of the arrow - you should be able to get something pretty precise. You could also try using the curve tools , like the cv tools, but I think that might be more trouble than it's worth. so grab the create polygon tool - switch to a side or top view and then start clicking points to make the shape of the arrow and then enter when you're done.

For the actual dimensions - i would use the text tool and then simply convert the text to polygons once you're done.

you also might want to give everything a bit of depth by using the extrude tool otherwise it might disappear from certain angles when you rotate around the object.

if you have any problems just keep posting questions here and make sure you include a pic.

hope that helps. :beer: