Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lighting & Rendering (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   MR lighting/texturing challenge????? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4265)

Jim 01-03-2003 02:17 PM

MR lighting/texturing challenge?????

Hi,

An idea,

What would be a great motivator to encourage people to learn Mental Ray for Maya?

Weekly competitions.

eg. Week 1. Outdoor 'Autumn' lighting, etc.....
Week 2. Indoor diffused lighting of room/garage, etc...
blah blah blah......

scene files could be created and downloaded from this forum giving everyone the same springboard in which to apply his creativity. The idea would be encourage learning and sharing of knowledege via a weekly competition.

Shared scene files (maybe even same camera shot) would encourage creativity within a defined framework allowing/encouraging contestants to focus on mood, tone, colour, etc.... rather than models, composition, etc.....

I guess its a bit like fitness.

Who likes to get out on a winters morning and run from point A to point B for the sake of it?

Give 'PEOPLE' an inflated leather ball, throw in some EGO's and viola.

Football.

re Jim

kbrown 01-03-2003 05:33 PM

Interesting idea. Who shall model the scene? :)

undseth 01-03-2003 05:33 PM

That sounds interesting Jim!

I'm in!

Jim 01-03-2003 11:47 PM

Hi,

As for who shall create the scenes.

?????????????

but,

they need not be complex. The key point as I see it is to have a single reference point for the creation process ahead for the coming week.

I feel I would learn much more looking at my picture next to somone elses if the scene was exactly the same. Only difference, my take on the lighting. This would mean that any distractions like better modelling camera angles etc... would not be a distraction from the experience of lighting a scene.

A scene could be as simple as a ball in a room. Nice start to play with direct and indirect lighting using GI FG.

anyone want to donate a simple scene?

Lets play ball.

colomea 14-07-2003 10:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hello there,

i´m a maya-newb and i´m relative new in this forum. until now this forum has helped me a lot and i think i will find further helping instructions.

one main task of this forum is the spreading of knowledge about the use with maya. there several ways for learning, the helping script of the program, books, questions and answeres in forums, tutorials, competitions. the main princip is showing other users how to do something.newbies can imitate this process and learn much faster how to do.

sometimes newbies like me have a question to a complex theme like illuminating an indoor scene or animating a exciting camera track.
a simple scene placed by the asking user and a lot of experienced users try to exercise this theme and talk about their used technique.
by this way the asking user and others get an overview over the several ways to do and their results.

in this forum there still is a section where this princip quiete works, the competition area. experts show their skills and results. this area is a great pleasure. but i think it´s too hard for learning by newbies.

properly the offer of this forum is quiete good and wide spread. my main-wish is to place a theme like illuminating an placed indoor scene or animating a exciting camera track for a placed object scene and some experienced user try to manage and talk about.

what are you thinking about my questions and proposes.
perhaps all conditions for my wishes are still there, but i just haven´t noticed about.
what is the right adress and way to reach my aim?

it would be very kind of you to hear a statement from you.
the attached pictures shows a simple scene, in which many procedures can be studied.

regards, colomea

ayelar 14-07-2003 08:46 PM

We did this in a class I took last year. Everyone had to scan their heads into the computer, place it on a pedestal in a pre-made museum setting, and light the museum for both day and night while drawing attention to the head. It was a great lesson. Perhaps someone could model a room in a museum?

Blinn 20-07-2003 08:39 PM

This sounds like an awesome idea Jim,
I've been looking to learn mental ray more.