Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   How can we make it better? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2141)

Kevin 15-11-2002 08:10 PM

How can we make it better?

right guys...

We want to make this the best maya site on the net

still we have to add some plugins . mels . shaders and more models, we are going to be adding some more free video tutorials as well as some vip ones.

Is there any thing elsa you guys would like to see on this site? any ideas?

thanks

Emo 15-11-2002 08:37 PM

hmm... how about tutorials for specific functions in maya... they dont have to be long or even a video... just basic tutorials what some funtions do and what users can do with them...

another thing may be some more free tutorials? ;)

-Emo

Kevin 15-11-2002 08:44 PM

yep ...more freebies are on the way as I speak...we have about another 3 in production!

so watch this space....

3djoe 15-11-2002 10:14 PM

I would love to see a set of videos that starts at scene setup and follows through to set up / modeling/ texturing/ setdriven keys/
rigging/ to rendering.

:banana:

Lets take this one for example how about a simple scene with a group of balls roll through a roller coaster slide with doors and drop into a bucket.

we can set up the scene
model the balls / coaster / doors
texture them light the scene
and rig the doors and script the rolling balls

render the animation

I know it sounds like a lot but lets make it a set of vids 1 this month and keep following through.

:beer:

BabyDuck 15-11-2002 11:06 PM

i would like to see some advanced stuff in free section, like:

creating shader networks for non photorealistic rendering
(it could also introduce to some stuff in hypershade that is not in the manual or not understandable)

this could be interesting, to know how to make the realistic scene with a simple change of the shaders into a cartoon like thing :)

adldesigner 15-11-2002 11:26 PM

Fast Tip: Use the Ramp Shader to obtain a fast nononsense cartton cg. :)

BabyDuck 15-11-2002 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by adldesigner
Fast Tip: Use the Ramp Shader to obtain a fast nononsense cartton cg. :)
right, but i was more thinking, that would be cool as tut. how to make connections in hypershade, how to use shading groups, how to put utilities. you can make it with a ramp, but tell this in the end of the tut: and the easy way - instead of using all those cool utilities you learned to use - is a ramp shader ...

Kevin 16-11-2002 08:56 AM

so basically all people want is "more free stuff"

BabyDuck 16-11-2002 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kevin
so basically all people want is "more free stuff"
is that a sin? but that is a very good compliment. the site is so good, that quality need not improve. and as i understood, there come new tuts - i was just making a suggestion what i personally would like to have. there is nothing missing here - oh i want of course more time on my hand for the challenges. but that is not feature of the site ...

Kevin 16-11-2002 09:12 AM

hey babyduck..i was not saying that to be some what sarcastic... I was mearly saying that if thats all that it would take then no problem...

That would be the easiest part... but we have to draw a line on free tutorials somewhere as its the VIP members that keep this site up and running as the costs are outragous.

Thats why we have to limit the number of free tutorials on the site against the VIP ones.

Also why I dont allow people to do movie tutorials and link them to this site.

But sure free tuts is not a problem, just thought that there might be something else that we can bring the users of simply maya :)

And many thanks for the compliments babyduck!!!

BabyDuck 16-11-2002 09:22 AM

tutorials need not be movie things, by the way - i fully understand that hosting a server is not free.

oh one thing that just pops into my head to further improve this great site:
i would like to read about a real project some do and made money with it. like a behind the scenes. i am not sure if NDAs agree with that though ...

Kevin 16-11-2002 09:29 AM

good idea duck :)

we was thinking about a "profile area" where we could go over a artists techniques...projects they have done, how they broke into the scene etc...

Emo 16-11-2002 09:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Kevin, something really quick that you might want to know... when I use the Quick Reply on the bottom of a thread, when I"m done and I press the button a runtime error comes up... (kinda annoying :( )

here is a pic of it

Kevin 16-11-2002 10:03 AM

yep its a java script prob with some browsers and the quick reply box..

the only way you can get around this is by using the reply button instead of the quick reply box.

I know a few people are trying to fix this problem but atm theres nothing can be done :(

sorry mate

Roman 16-11-2002 10:13 AM

if i'm not mistaken when that box pops up and you tab No it still posts whatever you wrote.. but it's damn annoyin'.. happens to the pc's at my college..