Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   How do i conncect planes / vertex to each other? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31447)

Hygami 01-12-2008 11:13 AM

EDIT: Some Basic Issues of mine!

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

maybe this sounds stupid but
i've been struggling with this quite a while

gonna try to break it down very simple with that image i attached so everyone knows where my problem is

so i have a box and one side is open.
how do i merge/add/connect/whatever a plane/face to it so that it's closed (closed cube)?

NitroLiq 01-12-2008 11:18 AM

You don't really need to do it that way. Select one of the border edges on the cube where the hole is , then Mesh > Fill Hole and that'll do it.

With two pieces of geometry, like in your example, the steps would be:

1) Move the two pieces close together

2) Mesh > Combine (you have to do this to merge verts)

3) merge the matching verts for each corner of the cube and plane.

honestdom 01-12-2008 12:35 PM

...Create a cube, apply the black shader then select one face and apply the red shader

NitroLiq 01-12-2008 12:40 PM

He's talking about filling a hole or merging a separate piece to the cube with the hole, not shading. Read the OP.

honestdom 01-12-2008 12:52 PM

I know, I was just saying how he could create the desired result.... Ok how about selecting a vert on the square and then with the move tool selected hold v on the keyboard and snap the vert to it's opposite. Then you can combine and merge. You should have merge set quite low, hence the reason for snapping.

Hygami 01-12-2008 02:59 PM

You both are graet thanks! it works!

Hygami 01-12-2008 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi there,

so I've been seriously wrking in maya with the goal to lern effectivly how to use this program. I'm really determined about it.

Anyway, I hope i can use this thread as some kind of help section where i constantly post my problems instead of spaming the Newbie Forum with all my concerns in single threats. btw it's easy to re-read smething i think insteead of searching the whole forum for previous questions i've asked.

So, I'm working on this tutorial

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=J1mExXURsWk

it wouldn't be such a big problem to just follow it since I know the basics of extruding/ navigating ect. but what kind of use does it have if I just fallow and don't understand what I'm doing? because I'm heading for some kind of effective learning cuz that's the way I've done it with Photoshop.

ehm.. this is my Blog , only want you to see that i's not useless waste of time. there you can see iÄve been working with blender for a while

So here's my concern
after modeling the basic balm i noticed (as I used the Move Tool on a Vertex) that I created edges and verts by inaccurate extruding by mistake.

How do i get rid of this edge since i can't just click on it in the "Vertex Face Mode" and just delete it. same for the Vertext.

In this stage i could just delete the whole mesh since it haven't gone far but it would serously bug me if it'd happen on face modeling and i wouldn't know what to do.

this is how it looks:

Hygami 01-12-2008 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another quick question, how do i add vertices points in maya?

in the upper bar is an icon named "Merge Vertices" but nothing happens by clicking. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong

heres what I'm talking about

honestdom 01-12-2008 11:16 PM

you need to have the verts closer together. you should move one by snapping it. either that or you can go to the merge vertices option box and increase the threshold. I would stick to the former.
As for the rouge edge, use "delete edge/vertex" its in edit mesh or mesh... i forget (its on my shelf).
or view the object in faces mode and just delete it from there.

Hygami 02-12-2008 12:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
oh thanks your cecound suggestion about "deleting edge/vertex" works great! thanks!

but that merging deosn't works,
pulled them as near together as i could, clicked on the snap magnet tool
than selected the verts and clicked on the "merge vertices" icon

and this is what happens:
it merges to the center where my axis thingy is displayed.
actually i wanted them to merge directly to the verts below/above. if i try to select both (one directly below or directly above so i would have two) verts by holding shift it doesn't work (it's not selecting the other vert so i would have both selected to merge together)

maybe look at the vid i linked at 8:00 - 8:10
he also seems to have a shortcut (hotkey - probably custom setting?)

I'm very thankful for your effort!

Gen 02-12-2008 12:31 AM

He didn't use a shortcut for the merge verts at said time, the option box just wasn't in the capture region. I think your merge problem is happening because you may have two separate pieces of geometry, combine them first, and if your threshold settings are appropriate then you should have no problems.

Chirone 02-12-2008 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Hygami
another quick question, how do i add vertices points in maya?

to add a vertex to an edge just hit the Split Polygon tool (edit mesh > split polygon > [])

if you're going to keep it all in one thread i suggest you make it clear where you're questions are. (highlight titles in the post with lots of * and bold letters so the subject stands out)
this way we wont think you're still going on about the same question.

tbh, i think having one thread for all your problems is messy

this may not mbe true for you, but it's a lot easier and a whole lot faster to find answers to things you've asked before if you have some kind of land mark (hence my suggestion about big flashy "titles" for each question you submit)

if you want to keep a legacy of your questions (which eventually you'll discard because you'll be good enough to work without reminders in a short time :)) you should copy and paste stuff into a text document.

just an opinion... take it or leave it, up to you :)

Hygami 02-12-2008 10:46 AM

it works great thanks :attn:

Chirone: alright I thought it'd make sense but i agree with you, it's quite smarter to note the stuff down as a legacy as you said. and the split poly option works well :)

GecT: Aah, didn't know about that combine option, it works thank you very much!

Would be happy if you guys keep on replying once in a while since it helped me greatly

so the next issue will be opened in a new thread

Chirone 03-12-2008 03:27 AM

i would also like to bring your attention to this thread here:

http://forums.simplymaya.com/showthr...&highlight=FAQ

Jr Who made a good video that you should watch :)