Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   BMW 316i (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27472)

Falott 12-09-2007 08:50 AM

BMW 316i

1 Attachment(s)
hi! long time no post.

this is my first car to be finished hopefully. a friend and I are going to use it in a short animation mixed with real film. he will be responsible for the postproduction with aftereffects I do the 3D stuff. we thought about to learn new things with this project - like motion tracking with boujou and integrating 3D in real film. we don´t quite know what will come out in the end but this car is for a first tracking test - so I made it kind of quick and dirty, tho it looks pretty fine by now I think.

interior is just very quick and very dirty to give silhouettes only. I guess we´ll use a lot of motion blur to conceal minor and major deficits of my model. If it turns out to need more work - well.

modeling time was about a week
modeled with maya
rendered with mental ray

things which are still bothering me on the model are mostly all glas parts like the head and the rear lights.
chromeShader doesn´t work too well also.
plastic parts are weird too - used a simple lambert shader

things which have to be done -> texture and specMaps for simulating dirt on the finish and of course getting the lights right!

C&C are welcome. if anyone knows some good headlight tutorial please dont hesitate to tell me. I´m going to search this forum now as there are a lot of fancy car threads here.

Falott 12-09-2007 08:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
my crappy rear_light!

AikoWorld 12-09-2007 10:07 AM

Hey nice nice!

couple crit's

The alu wheels look a bit to lamberty, try to make them look more like chrome.

phong

5% entricity
reflect white

play around these settings and you should have a nice looking chrome part.

The bmw brand on the hood looks like it's an image instead of a little ?badge? on the hood.

Dunno if you understand me on that last part.

For the rest here and there the car looks real flat like there images instead of actual polygons deformations.

Keep it up man, doing great!

Falott 12-09-2007 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ty for input. the badge actually is flat :). it´s geometry but I have to adjust the shader and make it slightly more spheric for better reflection.

I watched it now closely for some minutes and could not figure out what you mean by flat like no geometry but image. the car is 700k polygons so there is plenty of it ;P

the only thing I can imagine is the clean clearcoat. maybe I have to raise the speckling granite reflection and finally add some dirt to have a more determined surface.

thx for your advices!

here´s a render from the side. maybe the angle from the front was a little bit unlucky.

arran 12-09-2007 11:48 AM

nice job falott - this is looking pretty cool!

AikoWorld 12-09-2007 12:59 PM

from this side it dose look much better, i see less of what i talked about above.

I'm liking this!

Falott 12-09-2007 01:00 PM

thx dude!

Falott 12-09-2007 01:01 PM

yes, maybe it was the extreme angle from the rendering.

PS: I´ll play with the phong settings soon