Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Alien Embryo (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7307)

Blinn 05-08-2003 06:06 AM

Alien Embryo

This is really just a shading/rendering learning experience. I'm trying to get a better grasp of mray. I'm not too concerned about the modeling. It's completly procedural,

any ideas or suggestions would be great, thanks

Blinn 05-08-2003 06:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hah, I forgot image, oops.

stedo 05-08-2003 09:48 AM

doesnt look very organic imho. More like a really polished piece of marble. Is there any bump map applied at all?

Alan 05-08-2003 02:16 PM

it's a really interesting render, and i like it! maybe some more background elements, DOF etc could turn it into a really interesting composition

:)

Alan

Blinn 05-08-2003 03:44 PM

Yeah i agree it's way too shiny. Gotta work on that, and the bump.

Ill try some DOF too.

Blinn 05-08-2003 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres a new comp.
thanks for the advice guys

I added a bump, made less shiney, added a background of sorts, applied some Dof, and also changed the hue.

It still doesnt really look like its in the liquid that the background is made of. Not sure how to achieve this. I'd like to add some veins that arent as translucent as the rest of him next

more crits would be great.

drknow 05-08-2003 07:09 PM

Cool man. Maybe give him a little grunty lookin face. Or are you not worried about modelling.

Blinn 05-08-2003 07:17 PM

Yeah im not really concerned about the modeling, but I still agree with ya. Ill give him the beginings of a mouth and eyes.

Alan 05-08-2003 08:31 PM

I think that the bump is a little too much, the bumps should be smaller and less pronounced IMHO. The tubes are a nice touch. Maybe if they were slightly more translucent it mite work better. Also if you want it to look like it's sitting liquid then maybe adding small particles of debris that are in front and around the embryo mite work quite well.

Looks good

Alan

Blinn 06-08-2003 12:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Alright heres a new comp, I think i like this one more

i toned down the bump, but adding facial details posed a bit of a problem, because the material i made is too transparent.
I also added some particles in front of the embryo, might be hard to tell though. thanks for the advice pure.

any c&c would be awesome.

Alan 06-08-2003 12:27 AM

that's looking much better, maybe if you can get some of the particles closer to the camera and then using your DOF to blur them out.

It still doesnt quite look like it's "sitting" in the scene. Are you using a compositing package or doing it all in maya? what I would suggest (which i learned today) is to use an edge detect to find the edges of the feteus and then blur them ever so slightly and that will make the object sit a bit better.

Alan

Blinn 06-08-2003 12:46 AM

I'm using photoshop to composite.

The particles in front are a seperate layer.
im gonna try that edge blur thing right now
thanks

NERDboy 06-08-2003 01:15 AM

Looking good keep it up.

howardporter 06-08-2003 02:15 AM

ewwwww. disgusting, and very well done at the same time :thumbsup:

Blinn 06-08-2003 02:33 AM

hah thanks howard! thats exactly the kind of reaction i was hoping for.