Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   The worst newbie? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20624)

Sara Kido 12-03-2006 05:35 AM

The worst newbie?

I'm totally new to Maya, I know nothing, I just got the program and I'm starting to download the tutorials. While doing it I came to the forums to realize I don't get many things here. I hope I can learn fast so soon I can read all the post and understand them all.
For now, do you have any tips for me who's just starting to learn this software?
I wanna learn all I can. Not only about this software but from everything related to 3d graphics, animation and so cuz my lifetime dream has always been to make an Animation studio in Mexico. Alas there're not many (it may be none) help from schools, there's no way to learn if it isn't for yourself. So I'm giving my all. I really want to learn.

Now I think it may have been a bit useless to post this :(... Humm sorry if this tread is irritating =o.ò=

zealot_dragoon 12-03-2006 06:17 AM

greetings.
i'm new to the program also.
i think the best way to study maya is through its built in tutorials.
i'm going prety well with them.

good luck!

jsprogg 12-03-2006 08:17 AM

welcome to the forum, the inbuilt tutorials is a very good start then maybe download the free modeling tutorials available here which should give you a good idea of the basics in Maya.

Another good resource is www.learning-maya.com

I would recommend you learn the interface first then proess to modeling before learning the more complex features like fur, hair, cloth and animation ect.

Coldfire 13-03-2006 01:31 AM

Personally, I like figuring things out on my own. Play around in Maya and start to learn the interface, experiment to find what each tool does, all that kind of thing. I feel that this way guarantees you remember how to do everything, while copying a tutorial may have a good result, but I find I learn less from them. Once you have a good feel for that stuff, check out some tutorials so you get an idea of how to string it all together, then see what you can come up with.

mc-fleury 13-03-2006 02:38 AM

welcome m8! i would say like coldfire, take time to learn all the tools( or almost)learn the differents render technique, learn topology, texturing...you better know the human anatomy perfectly to be able to do someting organic that looks nice.

do not try to do anything very complexe before you know the programme almost perfectly.look at other's works and try to laern the way thay proceed for modeling, also look at some tutorials, i would begin with the free one that is on this site called cartoon dog.

it will be probably long and frustrating before you are completly comfortable with maya but as everybody, if you keep trying, you will be better and better but dont give up, its the best way to learn, and you better trust me when i say you it will be long and frustrating.

good luck learning maya!;)

Sara Kido 13-03-2006 05:25 AM

Thanks everyone!!! I think you're right, after all I got to learn Photoshop by myself, altough I started with a tutorial I learned everything else later by playing around with the tools and filters.
:attn:

I feel more confident now!! Thanks a lot!! I'm gonna start using maya right now. I'll follow the free tutorials first. Thanks again everyone!!:blush:

13th_resident 13-03-2006 11:48 PM

sooner or later you will see that maya ROCKSSSS!!!!!

Argit 16-03-2006 01:21 PM

Yay, I started with the tutorials under help in the maya tab- and it was very helpful, especially in learning the basics.

but now I do not know how to go on, I want to create an island with a sweet ocean but I could not find tutorials for that. How can I make realistic water? -.-

Does it all work with Vue?

sorry, I did not want to open a new thread for this question.

good luck though sara with your own business ^^

Gvbbo 17-03-2006 06:11 AM

ah whats Vue?:bandit:

Coldfire 17-03-2006 06:15 AM

Water isnt too dificult for Maya Unlimited. Not sure what version your using, (if you use PLE I have no idea what to do, if its even possible) but a full version maya has fluid tools and stuff, meant for water and other, well, fluids.

Argit 17-03-2006 10:42 PM

That's Vue: http://www.e-onsoftware.com/

so coldfire, do you have some good and easy tutorials for me?

I would appreciate if you could help me with some links.

gster123 18-03-2006 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Coldfire
Water isnt too dificult for Maya Unlimited. Not sure what version your using, (if you use PLE I have no idea what to do, if its even possible) but a full version maya has fluid tools and stuff, meant for water and other, well, fluids.
To get a good simulation your going to need to use softbodies and fields to do it, the old school method, before fluids!!!

agentprovo 19-03-2006 06:59 PM

Learning Maya

The tutorials here are great, but . . . a little daunting at first. If you have $45, you can do what I did. Get the Getting Started 4 disc video set from Digital Tutors (http://www.digitaltutors.com/store/home.php?cat=51). The tutorials are fairly slow paced, and the 4 disk set teaches you the basics of the UI, modelling, texturing, rendering and very, very simple animation. Warning . . . DT tutorials are addicting and can get real expensive real fast as they seem to have a tut for nearly everything. The other option is that DT tuts are always available for much cheaper on ebay. Don't know how you feel about buying DVDs from ebay. If you do, be sure to be vigilant of the seller's reputation. I never buy from anyone with a reputation less than 98%.

Then, watch as many tutorials as you can afford to from SimplyMaya (especially K. Brown's Apache). SimplyMaya, in my opinion, is simply the best place for project-oriented training.

Have fun modelling!

mmoore5553 19-03-2006 08:19 PM

i have digital tutors basics ..1st edition and 2nd editon also. .they are both very good. i am going threw them to learn the basics adn then i am doing a tie fighter ..But digital tutors is a very good source for basics and walk throughts..and then go over the tutorials here ..I love the tie fighter tutorial. IT is a vip tutorial.

cheers

go luck and happy learning ...dont worry if it gets you down ...just keep trying and soon you will learn..heck i get mad at maya all teh time and then i get threw the tuts .

Argit 20-03-2006 04:17 PM

yes, ok- thanks.

But I would like to learn something about create landscapes, too instead of just creating models.

does digital tutors have tutorials for landscapes?