Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   vista folder issue (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31204)

Chirone 24-10-2008 09:52 PM

vista folder issue

this is really pissing me off.... :(

vista keeps defaulting all the folders into the stupid video and picture folder type
which means you can't sort by date modified

i thought it would only default to that stupid mode if there were actually more videos and pictures than anything else

but NO, it does it to folders that have nothing but word and excel documents that were formally an "all files" folder type and so you can sort by date modified

does anyone know how to make EVERY folder regardless of its contents be able to sort by date modified. it's a real pain in the ass having to go up one level right clicking the folder and changing it so it can sort by date modified when you should just be able to do it in one click instead of 7 + 4 mouse drags.... 6 if you haven't got back and forward buttons

date taken is the most useless attribute ever... especially for word documents.
"HEY LOOK I TOOK A PICTURE OF MY THESIS AT THIS DATE HERE"

and the last thing i want to do is give all the pictures a date taken field... can you imagine spending days just changing the attribute from null to some date for a few thousand pictures? :zzz:

The Architect 25-10-2008 06:50 PM

What happended to:

Windows Explorer --> Tools --> Folder Settings --> Like Current Folder?

Chirone 25-10-2008 07:20 PM

it broke. doesnt matter how many times i tell it to change all folders the the favourable style it still reverts back to video and picture type :confused:

i never even told it to set all folders to that type before :confused:

The Architect 25-10-2008 07:27 PM

Hmm...

Have you tried telling it "not to remember folder views for individual folders"?

Is there this option where you can tell Windows whether it should or should not automatically detect the contents of the folder and select the style based on the contents? Or did I just imagined this feature existed? :confused:

I'm more baffled than you are, lol! :)

Some Guy 25-10-2008 09:16 PM

The same thing happened to me, Just right click, Sort by, More... then find the ones you want.
Good luck

Chirone 25-10-2008 10:04 PM

whilst it works, it doesn't do it for the whole video and picture template :(

oh well...no matter... i guess i'll have to put up with such sillyness

The Architect 25-10-2008 10:09 PM

Does Windows have third-party file managers?

Chirone 25-10-2008 10:29 PM

if not then i guess i'll have to make one....

AikoWorld 27-10-2008 07:14 AM

if you want to remove the vista`s auto handeling on folders, and get one type for all follow the instructions and explenation on the next page

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/1...ates-in-vista/

Chirone 27-10-2008 07:49 AM

ah thanks dude,

it looks useful

AikoWorld 27-10-2008 07:54 AM

btw dont be scared deleting the registers. i did it and vista is leaving me alone now, with one folder filing type, so much stress free :D

The Architect 27-10-2008 04:30 PM

Windows Vista - Windows has never been so easy to use!

If I am not mistaken, isn't Windows Explorer's folder views web-based?

In earlier versions of Windows, I think there were HTML files in a folder somewhere that provided templates for folder views, because Windows would break sometimes and complain how the HTML is faulty every time I clicked on a folder...

If I'm right, wouldn't changing the contents of these templates so they are all the same be safer than poking around the more arcane registry?

Chirone 27-10-2008 04:45 PM

location-of-html-template: ____________

i've not heard of this before, or seen such errors :confused:

The Architect 27-10-2008 04:54 PM

I can't remember...

A search of the C: drive for HTML files perhaps?

I might boot into Windows 2000 and take a look around...

Chirone 27-10-2008 05:04 PM

windows....2000? is that something we can eat?
nah i'm kidding... but i went straight from 95 to XP without knowing what was in between :p