Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   path Extude question (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27414)

skyjay 06-09-2007 09:52 PM

path Extude question

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I get a weird result with path extrusion.
Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?
I've attached the screenshot with red cirlcle indicating the problem area.

Thanks guys~! as always.

skyjay 06-09-2007 09:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the path and profile curve that I used.

mtmckinley 06-09-2007 10:39 PM

hmm, try using a Profile Normal orientation

skyjay 07-09-2007 12:25 AM

I get the same result.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

NitroLiq 07-09-2007 06:07 AM

You probably don't have enough CVs on your profile curve, or if you do, they're not spaced evenly so the extrude gets all wonky. Go to "rebuild curves" and play with the span settings. Or, if you want start from scratch without having to rebuild, when using the CV tool, snap to grid while drawing the curve and place a CV at every "grid box" so the points are even. Also, use "profile normal" when extruding like Mike suggested.

skyjay 07-09-2007 08:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Looks like It has enough CVs amd they are evenly spaced out.
I've attached the screenshot.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks.

mastone 07-09-2007 11:55 AM

what sometimes happens with cv's especially when they are so close together, is that they get mixed up so that the cv that should be on the 3rd place in the order is now on the 4th or 5th place.
i also think you used to much cv's in the corners, i think you can get the same result with less cv's.

good luck anyway

Mayastatic 07-09-2007 07:39 PM

I´m not at home and so I don´t have Maya on the desktop.
But the good thing in Maya is that you have very much ways to get what you want.
Attach your circle to motion path(which is your curve) and set a time line value of 30 frames (start, end) (I think!)
Duplicate the circle along the curve and loft them. When you get a wrong result check the normals that they are all in the same direction, or highlight the circles one by one from the first to the last and loft again.

I think you will ask where the option is to duplicate along path. Its in the same tab where you did find the extrude along path option. I think it is called duplicate along path.
I hope I said nothing wrong...:p

NitroLiq 07-09-2007 07:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by skyjay
Looks like It has enough CVs amd they are evenly spaced out.
No, they're not evenly spaced at all - you've got way too many CVs bunched in the corners then a sparse amount for the longer, straight parts. I replicated your problem last night. With geometry, it's often a good idea to keep everything even - similar to how a primitive looks. Then, start moving things afterwards. Look at the example I've attached. This is what I mean about evenly spacing. You can see how I've simply snapped CVs to the grid to create the shape. You only need 2 or so CVs for the rounded corners. You could try to "rebuild curve" on yours if you want but it only takes a couple of minutes to redraw from scratch.

skyjay 08-09-2007 05:12 AM

Thanks guys.

I took your advice and took a close look at the CVs. and you were right ..cv's in the corner were not properly placed. So I fixed it.

NitroLiq.
I never thought of creating curves..with using grid snap.
It was very useful info. I think it could be really handy.
Thanks for taking time and drawing it out for me~!

Thanks guys~!!
as always.