Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Please help a noobie! (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8357)

Tim_LIVID 10-10-2003 10:57 PM

Please help a noobie!

Im new to SM and to Maya, im working my way thorugh a few tutorials and I come across a problem.

I have turned on that snap to grid thing so when ever I try and drag the axis arrows to move something (for example) it sanaps to the grid.

I can't seam to turn the dam thing of and it is driving me mad!
:banghead:

Cheers for you help guys.

_LIVID

Nataliia 10-10-2003 11:01 PM

The snap-to buttons work as a toggle. Click one and it turns it on, click it again, and it will turn it off. If you notice on the shelf, it will be sunken when on, and will be even with the others when off.

HTH

kbrown 10-10-2003 11:03 PM

Short cut key to grid snap is X. Hold it down = grid snap is on...

Tim_LIVID 10-10-2003 11:06 PM

I have had a look and I can't see any icon to click that will turn it of. I pressed 'x' once to snap on one ocasion and it's stayed on.

[icarus_uk] 10-10-2003 11:29 PM

Press the button again that you pressed to turn snap to grid on. Not having Maya open at the moment, I believe the button is a small blob over a grid. If you really cant see it it may be that youve hidden that section of the menubar, you can click on the dividers to open and close the sections.

Tim_LIVID 10-10-2003 11:34 PM

I can't see the tab?! Could I stop it by going Edit ---> Something ----> Something?

I did try ignooring it ...... but there is only soo much I can put up with.

P.S. Im suprised at how quickly everyone has responded! Thatks a lot for the help!

_LIVID

Nataliia 11-10-2003 02:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Either try toggling the quick key (I think they said it was "X") as it works like a light switch: one click it's on, one click it's off.

Or, find the button on the shelf at the top. I've put a pic of where mine is:

mtmckinley 11-10-2003 05:59 AM

If the button highlighted above is not the issue, hold the W key and left click and hold. The Move Tool options will appear. Make sure Grid snap is turned off there.

[icarus_uk] 11-10-2003 09:42 AM

Ive often wondered about those cool shelves that Nat has. I havent got them and Im feeling left out. How do I get them? <sob>

Tim_LIVID 11-10-2003 10:08 AM

I know, she has a snap to grid shelf?! I want one!

P.S. Cheers Mike, that sorted the problem out!

Tim_LIVID 1 --- Maya 0

I think my first thread is a sucess.

_LIVID

mtmckinley 11-10-2003 03:46 PM

She doesn't have a snap to grid shelf... that's the hot tip pop up box when you mouse over stuff.

Tim_LIVID 11-10-2003 06:38 PM

Oh right, is that a vital thing to have?!

_LIVID

mtmckinley 11-10-2003 07:12 PM

every computer I have used has that built in. It's not vital. It just tells you what the button is by mousing over it. The majority of programs out there have that.

Tim_LIVID 11-10-2003 07:22 PM

Learn something new every day!

_LIVID

Nataliia 11-10-2003 09:52 PM

Oops, sorry about the confusion. I thought it best to leave the little pop-up on there so that it could be seen and identify the button. Guess it wasn't the most stellar idea I've had today :D