Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   It inevitably happens... (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29119)

Lt Jim 28-02-2008 08:23 AM

It inevitably happens...

Perhaps it's happened to you as well, perhaps not (and perhaps YOU have been a guilty party)!

What I am talking about is posting crass, negative comments about someone's work (in this case, my own).

I've shared what I have done on "YouTube", and I realize this is one of the risks one takes by doing so. YouTube is a wonderful place where we can see the work of beginners and experts alike. It is both a place to get inspiration and a place to gauge one's one progress.

The fellow who made the comment is apparently a student (or graduate) of the "Animation Mentors" program with a reel of his own on YouTube, and not some punk who just goes about making arbitrary crass comments (there are plenty of those folks around as well). In other words, this fellow intends to work in the animation industry.

I was tempted to leave a counter-reply, but decided not to. I was also tempted to "take his name" (as I am well-connected in the traditional animation world, and could conceivably cause trouble for him if I so chose), but I also decided not to. It would be stooping to his level.

Whatever the case, it still hurt. nearly 20 years of 2D experience and an OSCAR nomination aside, I am largely self-taught in Maya (I've taken two classes at NYU; an intense introductory course and an animation-specific course). Sure, if I had six free months and $15,000+ to cough up (or if Animation Mentors had been around 20 years ago) I'd have loved to have taken it, but reality dictates otherwise.

I guess I have a low tolerance for those who have the luxury of such an education but choose to make themselves feel better by criticizing others in a crass and cocky manner, but in the end there's precious little I can do about it. At least I can share my experience here!

The beauty of what we are all trying to do is that with practice, we DO improve. Most of what I have on YouTube is a year or more old, and I've since learned a LOT. I've been both critic and criticized here, and the overwhelming majority of you are patient with peoples' questions, kind and constructive with criticism, and generous with praise.

In the end, the one thing I learned about the animation industry (2D AND 3D alike) is that one's attitude is as important as one's reel. This fellow's Animation Mentors reel is good, but not so good as to justify his arrogance. In the end I will write this whole thing off to youthful exuberance.

And besides, a doctorate from the School of Hard Knocks goes a LOT farther in the real world than any other degree.

Thanks for your indulgence!

publicFunction 28-02-2008 10:26 AM

Good for you, take the moral high ground and leaving him be. Lets hope you don't bump into each other later in life at the same studio :p

I might have done the same, but I would have put in a sarcastic comment saying "...thx for the comments, but do you have an Academy Awards Nomination?". ;)

But hey thats me, would have got him to wind in his rather large neck.

Good Luck in the future.

velociraptor1 28-02-2008 07:30 PM

sorry to hear you had a run in with an exuberant youth Ltjim :( I guess maybe he saw your reel and upon finding how good it was, found the only way to make himself feel superior was pulling your stuff to pieces...Just wanted to let you know m8 that I always check your stuff out and have always found it to have a stylistic and beatiful ambience to it. I would say just keep moving forward-but I already know your past this ;)

Now lets see some new stuff!

gster123 28-02-2008 07:56 PM

I wouldent worry about it mate, no mattter where you go or what level you are you'll get someone who always try's to belittle work.

Also having a qualifiaction in a subject dosent automatically mean you understand it!

elephantinc 28-02-2008 09:48 PM

dont worry
hes joulous
he sounds a lot like my brother, he hasnt got a clue how to model or animate in 3d but he always rips my stuff to pieces

Lt Jim 28-02-2008 10:00 PM

Thanks for your supportive comments, guys!

The fact is, he DID have a point. The particular animation in question was not as good as it could be (I've since improved it and the latest version is on my demo reel, to be posted shortly).

I'm pretty much over it, and my wife tells me that his comments are based on his insecurity (you guys seemed to imply the same thing). To be insecure is one thing (I spent half my life that way; rough childhood and all that rot), but to take it out on others is NOT the way to rise above it! :-)

As for new material, it's on the way. I joined the 11 second club, and have started my entry for the March competition. I will post that and any new material to YouTube as I do it.

Once again, I appreciate your kind remarks and this forum in general. I've learned as much (or more) here as I might have anywhere else!

Good day (or night, if you're in OZ) to all! :-)