Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Gallery ideas? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4545)

Kevin 12-03-2003 12:03 PM

Gallery ideas?

We are looking for ideas for a new gallery that dave is creating.

What would you like to see and how could we better it?

Maybe a monthly "featured artist"
Maybe a "top artist area" for the 10 most awesome artists?

ideas guys?

many thanks

kbrown 12-03-2003 12:39 PM

I second the first idea but I'm not sure with the other one. I mean what would be a fair way to rank people who are totally different? Maybe sorting the gallery according to most viewed images would be enough? Just my 0.02€ :)

undseth 12-03-2003 01:22 PM

My pic have had its count reset several times :(

hehehe

How about a dissection of the projects?
In addition of presenting the final gallery image, how about also show some wireframe, and adding comments from the creator, about the various challenges that was involved. Maybe sneak inn some tips and tricks along the way?

Kevin 12-03-2003 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kbrown
I second the first idea but I'm not sure with the other one. I mean what would be a fair way to rank people who are totally different? Maybe sorting the gallery according to most viewed images would be enough? Just my 0.02€ :)
yeah sorry kman it would wor on the views! the top 10 views would auto move into a "dedicated area"

ragecgi 12-03-2003 03:54 PM

Yeah, I like the "Featured" artist area idea.

We could have M interview the artist with a set of canned-questions, and have the artist write a snippet about the shot, and possible "making-of" screenies...

I know, it's kinda like the 3dluvr site, but obviously, ours would be Maya related...

adldesigner 12-03-2003 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ragecgi
Yeah, I like the "Featured" artist area idea.

We could have M interview the artist with a set of canned-questions, and have the artist write a snippet about the shot, and possible "making-of" screenies...

I know, it's kinda like the 3dluvr site, but obviously, ours would be Maya related...

Actually I´ve always liked this how-I-did-it snippets. They give great insight.

Nem 12-03-2003 05:30 PM

the thing is, with both ideas, we will have the same people there cos, well, one person is featured artist now, and theyll continue to be for ages until someone does sumthing better, but im gettin the feeling that people would still pick the original artist because theyre so used to their work, kinda thing

Kevin 12-03-2003 05:45 PM

im sure we can do some cool stuff nem :) have faith little brother

adldesigner 12-03-2003 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nem
the thing is, with both ideas, we will have the same people there cos, well, one person is featured artist now, and theyll continue to be for ages until someone does sumthing better, but im gettin the feeling that people would still pick the original artist because theyre so used to their work, kinda thing
If you´re a featured artist because you actually turned some great images, wouldn´t you deserve to be there? People shouldn´t be there "for ages" if everybody starts whipping up some stuff, instead of talking so much bull in the forum (myself included). Hehe

Kevin 12-03-2003 05:49 PM

talking bull ? who me ? ..... NEVER :D

adldesigner 12-03-2003 06:21 PM

Hehe Kevin, "would have never thought about it" ...

mushroomgod 12-03-2003 06:37 PM

alow people to comment on the work maybe?

Hidalgo 12-03-2003 07:40 PM

Having good work featured seems to spur people into becoming better.

Why else would you post your work on the internet for people to rip apart? We take chances and the ones that can benefit from critiques and suggestions ultimately end up getting better.

I am tremendously intimidated even being on this forum. I know my work is nowhere near you guys but if I stick with it I know I will get better. My "expertise" lies elsewhere in life and this is all new to me.

By having featured artists' works on this forum it gives people like me a chance to learn something about the way things are done.

Anyway, this forum continues to get better and better and I know everyone will benefit from the result.

Done ranting.

Garry1953 12-03-2003 08:52 PM

Since this site mainly dedicated to people learning Maya.

Why not have a Limited Progresive Area of selected artists.
Where you can see there first attempts, through to the best they have achieved, with the help provided from Simply Maya team.

I'm sure that some of the moderators have kept a few of there earlier attempts at Maya. Plus you have students whose work is progressing nicely.
So why not have 4 or 5 star pupils work showcased?

Simply posting Ultra High quality work, would indicate to a Newbie that Simply Maya is more for Intermediate to Professional and could potentially chase them away.

My two cents errrrrrrrrr Pennies for what its worth:D

ragecgi 12-03-2003 09:28 PM

Good point's too Gary, as that exact thing has made me almost throw in the towel a few times in my career's past:)

Maybe like an "SMU" showoff area, where simply each post to a user's thread would be an updated pic as to where they are at that time in thier life, or something along those lines...

Maybe a little too involved for right now tho.... dunno...