Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Getting new pc, DUAL XEON or DUAL G4? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5382)

ctaborda 24-04-2003 04:31 AM

Getting new pc, DUAL XEON or DUAL G4?

Hi everyone this is really URGENT, please,
listen I need a new machine for MAYA work and for all my work, like after effects, bryce, photoshop, illustrator and like alot of video editing too..

Well I can get a macintosh
A DUAL 1.42ghz (2 meg of Kcache) and 2gb of RAM.
(its got a dvd burner, a 128 meg video card (ati 9700), a 120 gigabyte hard drive)
OR
a

DUAL XEON 2.66ghz (1meg of cache (both together)), and 1 gb of ram (regular 48x cdrom, 64meg video card)

WHAT WOULD YOU GET AND WHY?

Why MAC? Why Not PC?

Why PC? WHY NOT MAC?!

PLEASE!
Thanks!
Carlos.

Vectorman 24-04-2003 05:00 AM

Well i cringe to say i'd go with the mac (if i were you, i'd never get one) if you like macs. They are well known to be much better for Multimedia. Plus the 2gb ram and the extra 128 (i know this vid card is VERY nice) would be REALLY nice. Also is price a factor? Which one is cheaper?

Another thing is I noticed that you said this is urgent. Am i to understand you're rushing into buying a computer!? I would HIGLY reccomend not doing that. Take you're time ask people on other sites, ask you're comp friends, or even you're local (has to be trustworthy too) computer salesman.

BTW this is just my 2 cents. Don't put all you're trust in someone you've never met.

ragecgi 24-04-2003 05:03 AM

What is the PC brand?

ctaborda 24-04-2003 05:05 AM

well the money factor is not a factor since they're the same and i'm financing it.

tell me waht u think like "computer wise"

what do u mean if u were me u wouldnt get one?

thanks

ctaborda 24-04-2003 05:08 AM

RageCGI, its DELL

ragecgi 24-04-2003 05:11 AM

GET THE DELL!!!!! hehe... sorry.. got excited there for a moment:)

I have 2 dells,and they both ROCK!

Never had a problem with them yet, and they are super fast for 2d and 3d.

ctaborda 24-04-2003 05:13 AM

well, I don't look much at the brand, I look at the performance, and well, i'm not a gamer at all either..

;) why u prefer pc?
what are the specs on your pcs?

Thanks

dannyngan 24-04-2003 05:50 AM

The dual-xeon Dell will outrun the Powermac in just about every program/task you've listed. I don't have the numbers on me, but you can do a search online for speed comparisons. I know DV magazine did a speed test, and the Powermac lost in just about everything (not by too much though).

However, speed isn't everything. Usability is a huge factor. Do you like Mac OSX or Windows XP? Which is more comfortable for you? There are pros and cons to each OS, and it really depends on the user. I, personally, prefer OSX, but I'm equally as productive and comfortable with Windows XP and 2000.

With that said, which machine you go with depends on whether or not you need Maya Unlimited. If you want to use Maya Unlimited, then you have to got with the PC. Unlimited is not available for Mac OSX. If you're only going to be using Maya Complete, then either system will work just fine.

At that point, you need to decide which video editing package you'll be using. Adobe Premiere and Avid XpressDV are available on both platforms. Both work the same on either side. If you want Final Cut Pro, then the Mac is your only option. For the PC, there's Vegas Video and Ulead Video Studio (I think that's what it's called...).

Personally, I prefer using a Mac, but realistically, I need to have both platforms available for my work (video games). If it's at all possible have one of each in your studio. :)

ctaborda 24-04-2003 05:57 AM

Well thanks for your feedback!, well actually I will have windows and mac, but this is like a new workstation, for example on this " p4 1.5ghz 256 ram", like the LIGHTING in MAYA, is so slow, for example, if I do like render with good lighting, my pc will just like die, windows will die and everything will die! :( hehe, that just wil result in a manual reboot..

So, I want to avoid this, but well, some of the CONS is that, I've never worked with Macs before!!!!!!
BUT I find that exiting and I want to learn, and like Its not gonna be that hard (i'm a linux system admin too, I used to have a job on that), so well, the other good thing is that the mac has the DVD writer, and 128meg video card, and basically just between us (I want the mac :P) but I need to know the reality and see what I need to really choose.

Well thanks, every feedback is welcomed and nEEDED! THanks!
Carlos.

adldesigner 24-04-2003 06:54 AM

<Growl>
If only I could find a decent "This thread sucks" image.
Getting tired of these threads.
</Growl>

dannyngan 24-04-2003 06:59 AM

Yeah, these threads can lead to potential problems, especially when people put down other platforms. If it gets bad, we can just close the thread. Simple as that.

adldesigner 24-04-2003 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dannyngan
Yeah, these threads can lead to potential problems, especially when people put down other platforms. If it gets bad, we can just close the thread. Simple as that.
Being monitored as we speak. :cool:

PappaSmurf 24-04-2003 07:13 AM

Personally I would wait a month or two and build an operton (or dual opteron :eek: ) system

:D

Alan 24-04-2003 01:22 PM

I am working on a Dual Xeon 2.4 ghz Dell machine with a quadro in it and a gig of ram and it runs maya, photoshop, premier, shake and 10+ explorer windows etc all at the same time and still whacks out renders faster than I've ever seen!! get the dell! unless you sepcifically like macs I would go for the dell (more software better support etc etc).

But as VectorMan said DONT RUSH THE DECISION or you mite be stuck with a machine you dont like otherwise!

wchamlet 24-04-2003 07:57 PM

As far as 3D goes you'd be better off getting a Dual Xeon workstation. It's a lot faster than the G4's, and would probably save you a lot of time while rendering. If it's the same price as the G4's, I'd definetely go for the Xeon workstation.

But like others have said, if you wait, and look around, you might find something better. Good luck with your endeavors, and oh yeah, get Maya!