Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   First attempt at a person (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32525)

elephantinc 29-05-2009 04:07 PM

First attempt at a person

1 Attachment(s)
Ive being doing 3d for almost 2 years now and Ive never attempted to model a person
So I decided it was time to give it a go. I actually started this a while ago and just came back to it today and cleaned it up for 1/2 a hour
obviously a WIP
I think I need to make the nose more defined
without hair I find it difficult to judge how big the forehead should be

oh and the front of the face near the mouth needs to be brought back a bit, to match the mouth more

elephantinc 29-05-2009 04:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
front

Dango77 29-05-2009 04:23 PM

Good start for your first attempt Elephantinc,
I'm wanting to try out some cartoon characters soon, got some other bits to do first though.
Some points I'd say:
Pull the cheeks back a touch, define the brow line first before doing the forehead, to make sure the size of it goes with the eyes and rest of the facial features. Pull the chin down slightly, thin out the neck a touch and flatten the sides of the head as a whole a little as it's looking a bit alien at the moment.Also the eyes are at too much of a diagonal angle, straighten them a touch.
Are you using image planes of the head, if not it'd definitely be worth sketching something to use or using photos for your first attempt, saying that the pros seem to use them all of the time too so probably something to think about (if you aren't using them)
Sorry for giving you so many crits, just trying to help. lol!
If you spend a lot of time on it I'm sure it'll come out looking cool!
Good luck with it!

arran 29-05-2009 04:23 PM

not a bad a start - but you need to focus on getting the basic shape right before you move on to details and adding more polys.

the jaw, temples, back of the head, eye positions and forehead are the main areas that need work and stand out at moment.

lets see a wireframe - if you add too many polys early on you will just make it harder to get the shapes right.

elephantinc 29-05-2009 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dango77

Sorry for giving you so many crits, just trying to help. lol!

Dont apologize, I posted this so I could get crits to improve it . ;)
I really appriciate your help and Ill definitely make those changes

..and yeah, I probably I added too many polys

elephantinc 29-05-2009 05:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
wireframes

elephantinc 29-05-2009 05:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
side

elephantinc 29-05-2009 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
rotated eyes, flattened sides, worked on nose, moved chin down slightly and thinned the neck

Mayaniac 29-05-2009 06:53 PM

Hey, man. Nice first attempt!

I'm not gonna lie the proportions are out on this. And the general shape of the head is off. I would suggest looking at lots of head photos (even your own) and studying the shapes... though I will advice you use actual human reference for modeling your heads. Of course if this is going to be a cartoon style model.... no probs.

If you need reference.... just let me know. I have TONS of head reference. Actual orthographic photos of peoples heads.

Nice work!

elephantinc 29-05-2009 06:57 PM

do you have any of shaved/bald heads?

Mayaniac 29-05-2009 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by elephantinc
do you have any of shaved/bald heads?
nah, i think they all have hair.

gster123 29-05-2009 08:11 PM

I agree with what everyones said so far, the basics are there. I would reduce the poly count and define the topology, have a look in the topology thread for some pointers for round the eyes and the mouth.

Yeah have a look at some bald dudes for proportions.

Sorry if my spellings rubbish, just got a new laptop and I cant get ruddy used to it!

Cheers

Steve

ben hobden 30-05-2009 12:06 AM

I think particularly from the front view is where the problems with proportion stand out. Particularly to my eyes is the jaw line, it seems almost as if there is no bone around there apart from the chin.

NextDesign 30-05-2009 07:10 AM

Hey man, Nice start. However, you have some problems with your proportions. You should get these blocked in before you start adding in details such as the lips, eyes, nose, etc.

If you need some help, here's a video of the "traditional" facial proportions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i69UsNK4w8Q

It also doesn't matter if the people have hair or not, as by using the proportions, you can deduce the skull. I find it helpful to open it in photoshop and paint in the skull line.

One thing you should study is some photos of skulls. A lot of people mistake the shape of the head, as they don't see it from above very often. A good one is where it has been sliced in half. For example, here: http://www.biovere.com/cart/images/r..._all_views.jpg

Also, I would highly recommend not only using a front and side view of a head, but a three quarter view as well, as it will give you depth, especially when working with the cheek area.

If you need any more help, feel free to ask :)

elephantinc 30-05-2009 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
With a lot of these areas ive gone backwards (namely the mouth (although that might be because I removed a few edge loops there to make manipulating that area easier)
at the moment im just trying to get the proportions so its a bit of a mess

I also started blocking out the body, but im not ready to show that yet

(although now looking at it and comparing it to my previous post I do prefer it)