Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Increase subdivisions around cylinder axis AFTER create? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30155)

rickibarnes 15-06-2008 11:13 PM

Increase subdivisions around cylinder axis AFTER create?

I have a sphere made of "dots" - which are just cylinders that don't have any depth to them - kind of like circular planes. When I first made this, I was happy to keep the default amount of subdivisions around the cylinder axis (20), because I wasn't planning on getting too close to them.

Now I am using the same model in a different animation, and I need to get quite close to the cylinders - and unfortunately you can notice that they're not completely round.

So what I want to do is just add to the geometry, and crank the number of subdivisions around the axis up so my "dots" look properly round. But this is the problem - I cannot work out how to do that. Can anyone tell me if there is a way that I can add to the number of subdivisions? I really, really want to avoid having to do it again, as it took a very long time in the first place.

Any advice or suggestions much appreciated!

happymat27 15-06-2008 11:26 PM

Hi,

Providing you haven't deleted the history on the object it's easy to adjust the properties of a primative object.

Simply select the desired object then, in the input panel on the right, click on the object name to open it's properties and adjust whichever one attribute you need to.

However.... if you have already deleted the objects history then these attributes will no longer be available.

hope that helps,

Mat.

rickibarnes 16-06-2008 12:11 AM

Do you mean in the attribute editor? I have looked in there but can't seem to see anything about number of subdivisions.

I don't know about the object's history, I would think maybe it was gone. I made the model over a year ago, I can't really remember what I did/didn't do at that time.

happymat27 16-06-2008 02:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the input panel is part of the channel box to the right of the work area.

I've highlighted the inputs of the cylinder in green. If you've deleted the history the inputs will only show from after that.

Mat.

mirek03 16-06-2008 02:50 PM

from memory, if you create an object.., then duplicate it.., the options Matt has given are not available except to the original., and only if the history was not deleted.

M:)

happymat27 16-06-2008 08:14 PM

That's right Mirek good point.

But.....

If you duplicate as an instance any adjustments you make to the original will affect the copies. Once again this is providing the history has not been deleted.

Mat.

mirek03 16-06-2008 09:17 PM

equally good point and handy to know.., thats why i frequent this forum..,

i bet its a shock out of uni.., i couldnt come down of the 'non stop work' thing and in a fit of mid-education-mid-life crisis.., i went to another college.., in ways i wish i had of taken 12 months off to reflect.., think about it if you cam (i know you have responsabilities0 hope you are finding to to relax.

M:)