Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   bunker feed back (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14109)

Phil.R 27-10-2004 02:13 PM

bunker feed back

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
Im a newbie here and would appreciate some feed back on my work.
I would like to be an environment artist and am fairly new to maya (4 months) so any views coments or laughs welcome.

Phil.R 27-10-2004 02:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another shot

twisteddragon33 27-10-2004 05:25 PM

i thought bunkers are military strongholds that offer prottion while you attack outside forces?

If so where are windows/exits/openings or weaponry to attack outside forces?

Tim_LIVID 27-10-2004 05:46 PM

It's a good start, might be a bit dark but that's not to hard to change.

I would be interested to see a wireframe, also if you have some other shots so I can see what else is going on that would be cool. :Ds

twisteddragon33 27-10-2004 06:43 PM

Actually i bilieve a bunker should be well lit inside, vary hard to see on the outside(as to not give away your position).

Also there seems to be too much empty room. A bunker should be well fortified, and have enoguh suplies to hold off an attack for quite some time. I suggest having random ammo dopisits, weaponry and so on lying around.

Um.. might help if you explain what this is for.

Kerosene 27-10-2004 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by twisteddragon33
i thought bunkers are military strongholds that offer prottion while you attack outside forces?

Ah, but what about nuclear bunkers? Simply a protection from outside influences. Although I don't know if hiding from a nuclear attack in a bunker with glowing green ooze on the floor is the wisest of moves...

As for crits, same as the others. lighting. particularly just above the door in that 2nd shot. In a room of that size, if intended for human use, I don't think any shadow shud truely fade to black. Consider strip lighting, or if u still want to keep the dank mood, maybe some red backup lights. And some guiding lights to the doors... Just my 2 cents

Personally I love work on environments, its like good bass- it really gives meaning to the flow of the piece. I just can't be bothered to do them myself :) nice one!

Phil.R 27-10-2004 10:35 PM

o.k guys just want to clear up a point here. The title Bunker may of been slightly missleading as it is not an actual real bunker located anywhere, just a kind of nuclear fall out shelter underground that I dreamt up. Thanks for the notes on the lighting I do tend to lean towards dark atmospheres but the comment about shadow fading is very helpful.

TreyZ32 27-10-2004 10:38 PM

Hi Phil,
Looking good mate - really good start. :)

I like the rarely used / poorly maintained look (inc the faint numbering on the doors). You could look at adding some more variation on top of your base textures - for instance you could add wear to the floor near the doors (where they could have scraped the ground during the years of opening), cracks in the tile work on the ground (heavy items dropped etc) and maybe look at slight bump mapping to show the grouting gap between the times (should give you some nice little highlights on that section) - On the brick an concreate work again you could look at variation like damage/wear an tear (stained walls from leaking pipes, cracks, chips etc). Could even add a few rusted signs on the walls (for scale) or continue with the faded painted decals as you've done on the doors.

Keep us posted mate!
Cheers,
Trev

Tim_LIVID 28-10-2004 09:26 AM

It's turning into an Escape Studios forum, nice work (as I said before) and with the alterations it will be even better :D

Phil.R 28-10-2004 01:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
progress on the floor bump..looking more soden and dank

Tim_LIVID 28-10-2004 02:58 PM

Incidently two of my favorite words :D

deathwish 28-10-2004 03:11 PM

i like this a lot, very goo detail - the checkered floor looks a bit odd though prob couls do with a few cracks or make it look a bit rough.

vladimirjp 28-10-2004 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by deathwish
i like this a lot, very goo detail - the checkered floor looks a bit odd though prob couls do with a few cracks or make it look a bit rough.
can barely see anything... how can u see good details??

Phil.R 28-10-2004 06:03 PM

yeah bit dark at the moment but im working on it

Phil.R 28-10-2004 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
o.k got the lighting a bit better now. Added some more elements like the metal rusty pillars..
but can anyone tell me when i render from this angle (close to floor) i get that triangle of black at the bottom. happens on every angle that i render from on the ground plane???????