Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   boolean difference - Where is it? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26829)

louis56 06-07-2007 02:29 PM

boolean difference - Where is it?

Hello, I am new to these forums and new to Maya so I know very little. I was wondering where the boolean difference for the mesh is. I dont know how to use it or where the button is. Could someone please screenshot its position for me please.

Louis

EDIT:: Its not a NURBS its the mesh boolean difference.

louis56 06-07-2007 02:51 PM

Success!!! I found it. I had to press F3 then go Mesh > Booleen.

Louis

gster123 06-07-2007 03:17 PM

If you gete stuck with finding simple stuff, have a look in the help files, press F1 then go to search, you can then put in the tool name and it will come up with where it is and how to use it. Save you time posting and then waiting for a reply, which if its a really simple question might take ages.

louis56 06-07-2007 04:15 PM

Oh trust me I looked. lol. But it just said goto Mesh > Boolean and mine didnt have Mesh. And the instructions didnt say to press F3.

Louis

06-07-2007 05:25 PM

I take that youÕre using Maya 8 (or 8.5)? When Autodesk updated Maya they redesigned the interface and now the menus are split up some. In the menu bar on the upper left thereÕs something that could say Polygons, NURBS, Animation, etc. The thing you were looking for would be under Polygons.
:beer:

louis56 06-07-2007 05:28 PM

Yeah I have 8.5.

Its really annoying because all the tutorials are for earlier versions and I can hardly find anything. :angery:

Getting there though. Only used it for 1 day lol. If anyone has some 8.5 tutorials for beginners that would be nice :blush:

Thanks,
Louis

Perfecto 06-07-2007 08:46 PM

Hi louis56, welcome to Maya and to Simply Maya. I also have 8.5 so I understand your frustration. The help files are really your best friend starting out as gster123 mentioned. It includes some basic tutorials that will really help you get started. there's also a "What's New" section that has some very useful info.

After a while, you'll get use to where the tools are as well as how to find them and what terminology to use for your searches. Then the older tutorials will be a breeze for you.

F3 will switch your menu's to the mesh but you don't have to use F3 (I do because it's quicker). But like Jr. Who said, there's a drop down box at the upper left of your screen below the file menu that has the same options as the F3 - F7(?).

Looking forward to seeing your Maya skills develop.

louis56 07-07-2007 02:29 AM

Thanks. I choose maya over the easier ones because I heard you can do more. I think you may be right about the help files.

Look forward to my own maya skills develop :p