Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   new project (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28675)

arran 15-01-2008 06:07 PM

new project

1 Attachment(s)
base mesh...

Funky Bunnies 15-01-2008 07:15 PM

whatcha got goin' on, arran?

sculpting-town?

arran 15-01-2008 08:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
yeah, as you can see i'm going to shake up sculpting-town.

arran 16-01-2008 12:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
blocking things out.

Mayaniac 16-01-2008 05:51 AM

Looks like a good start,

The edges loops around the eyes seem.... weired! Maybe you could re-work them?

Not much more to add.... as this is the base mesh, and the project really begins when you start sculpting. ;)

Good luck!

arran 16-01-2008 08:16 AM

yeah - only just started the eyes - so lots to still do. :)

gster123 16-01-2008 05:00 PM

Looking good arran.

Get a good base mesh before going into sculpting it will help you when adding the details in z or mudbox.

I always feel the project starts with a good base mesh and the sculpt is the cherry on the cake, not when the project starts.

What you going to use for the sculpt?

arran 16-01-2008 05:06 PM

cheers mate. :)

finally got my hands on zbrush last week - so i'm hoping to take this in there.

gster123 16-01-2008 05:16 PM

Cool!

The best bit of advice I could give you in learning it is to go slowly up the levels, its so so tempting to just divide a few times then sculpt in the high levels but move up and gain form at each level.

Do a lot of little sculpt strokes with a low Z intensity, pull/push it a bit more than you need then smooth it back to fit, you can gain a lot of the overall form using the move brush and then onto the std brushes to refine.

I found it hard to get details such as pores, and wrinkles in there when I started, hell I still do on a human model, a fantasy one it dosent really matter and its a good place to mess about with alphas etc.

Just my workflow

edit - Make sure youve got a tablet! I tried for about 6 months using a mouse, silly boy!!!

arran 16-01-2008 05:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ha ha - thanks for the good advice mate - i'll keep that in mind. i'm sure i'll have plenty of questions...;)

bit more...

gster123 16-01-2008 05:29 PM

No probs mate,

Ive got a few settings for pores etc using the standard brushes and alphas so I could give you the settings if you want, Ive also got some alphas too, send us an e-mail if you want.

starjsjswars 16-01-2008 05:57 PM

nice xD

Funky Bunnies 16-01-2008 06:32 PM

I tend to do this often too, but it looks like you're overworking your mesh. If you're using zbrush as a fine detail tool then that's fine, but i'd opt for a less specific mesh to give you more freedom in zb.

(BTW, if you are going that route especially, one thing you may notice is that zbrush will 'shrink' your model as you subdivide. This will cause issues when you take it back into maya. After importing the .obj, just store a morph target first, subdivide a couple times, step back down and apply the morph target again to fix it.)

t1ck135 17-01-2008 03:49 AM

looking good arran :)
the character is coming out well

Simon

arran 17-01-2008 07:20 AM

cheers! :)

Funky - thanks for the tips mate. :beer: I'm not planning on adding any more detail - it's just a case of pushing and pulling now. I also need to work out the rest of the body before i take it into zbrush, so i may model a couple of other heads to practise on. :)