Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Bedroom WIP (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9159)

flipfl0p 27-11-2003 10:46 PM

Bedroom WIP

1 Attachment(s)
Heya, this is my first bedroom scene, Everything is looking good so far, except I'm shooting for realism, and the dresser and bedtable don't seem to look real. I think it's the textures, what do you guys think? Do you have any ideas on how to get these things looking real? Please give your feedback. Thanks.
-Flipfl0p

Pony 27-11-2003 11:27 PM

well for starters I think the bed is the bigest problem.. 1 it dosn't seem big enufe for the room.. unless its for kids.. and you have the wrong things in the room for that. the pillows and bed are not casting shadows.. that seems to be the bigest problem with the pillows looking like there just floating there. In my opinion the beds top edges are to hard and square. The texture for the bed could be ok as it is.. hard to tell yet with out seeing the afects from the other things. the dresser seems to lack definition.. like you have to much defustion on it. it definly needs to be more contrasty to match the room.

I don't like wallpaper.. but it looks like a good room . nice flore.

flipfl0p 28-11-2003 12:36 AM

Pony thanks for your advice, the bed is not supposed to be for kids, thank you for bringing it to my attention. I will take your suggestion and get some more shadows on everything.
-flipfl0p

Pony 28-11-2003 07:03 AM

keep us updated.. :D :bgreen: :headbang:

neoarcadia 28-11-2003 07:43 PM

Looks like you have a great start! Maybe set some "Dramatic" lighting in there to make the shadows show up more? I don't know im trying to sound intelligent. I guess all i can think of is add some more items, get more detailed. Maybe put some flowers in a vase on a counter, add a mirror somewhere, etc. I love the lighting.

flipfl0p 28-11-2003 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quick fix, far from done, added raytrace to get some shadows, I have to go to work, but heres an update. Also, having a hard time with the pillows casting shadows, I'm going to add little picture frames on the dresser.... and more, anyway, please reply

Pony 28-11-2003 09:05 PM

cool. looking good but the pilows still pop. don't forget shadows there..

flipfl0p 29-11-2003 04:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, I lowered the diffuse on the pillows and floor. Also I decreased the intensity of my above directional light. This makes the floor look a little bit darker. I added another spot light w/ raytrace to get shadows on the pillows. What do you think about the dark floor? Keep it or lighten it? I added some mini pictures on the dresser. Considering adding a plant in the right corner, and finding new wood materials for the dresser and bed table.
gr33tz: pony

-flipfl0p

flipfl0p 29-11-2003 05:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
added another light, and got a high res tex for my dresser/bedtable.... increased intensity on the main spotlight casting the fog.
-flipfl0p

Pony 29-11-2003 08:01 AM

yeah thats good !! looks nice..

flipfl0p 30-11-2003 11:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Added several volume lights, noise mapped the fog, messed with the light intensities. No new modeling yet

Pony 30-11-2003 11:34 PM

nice, I like the brightness.. and the glow afect out of that a little.. maybe the light outline of the window is a bit to shap ?

fredriksson 01-12-2003 01:15 AM

It looks very good indeed. Nice bedspread. You have a pretty nice light setup there. As a tip, I'd go for GI or Final Gather in this case since it makes the light look so much more real (if used properly), by simulating bounced light. You can ofcourse fake the effects of bounced light, but it is pretty elaborate and for a still the increased rendertimes of GI/FG are usually not an issue. Look at for an example of FG in an indoor environment.
Good luck.

flipfl0p 01-12-2003 02:17 AM

POny, thanks for all your comments and help so far
Freddrickson, thank you so much for the final gather input, I was wondering where I could get something like that!!!!
I'll keep you guys posted ASAP
-flipfl0p

flipfl0p 01-12-2003 03:13 AM

I have Maya Unlimited 4.5, shouldn't I have Mental Ray and final gathering as well??? Under the 'Render' drop down menu, I don't even have an option that says 'Render Using...' Please help!
-flipfl0p