Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Bingo model (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8652)

NitroLiq 28-10-2003 01:53 PM

Bingo model

Does anyone know if Alias' Bingo model is still available for download anywhere? I know they used to offer it as a free download.

iron_tick 28-10-2003 02:21 PM

BINGO? alias makes a Bingo game?? LOL Count me in. i love church style gambling... LOL just kidding . Whats a bingo model? some type of neuter human figure?

mtmckinley 28-10-2003 02:31 PM

http://www.techtv.com/eyedrops/shown...376641,00.html

iron_tick 28-10-2003 04:10 PM

That is now in my favorite places.

NitroLiq 28-10-2003 06:07 PM

Alias used to freely offer the facial model of the balloon girl from the Bingo animation at their site. It's a good example of patch modeling so I wanted to take a closer look.

iron_tick 28-10-2003 06:25 PM

<~~~ SMILES... LOVES PATCH MODELING :D

iron_tick 29-10-2003 03:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:D

NitroLiq 30-10-2003 01:27 AM

Tick, just curious, are you creating the curve profiles for the head in the front and side view, then drawing cross curves in the perspective view? Do you match the same number of CVs for the two head curves? Once you have all your curves, you just birail or boundary, yes? From what I gather, you select each patch (4 curves) defining the face in the same order to keep uv and continuity the same? Am i basically on the right track?

iron_tick 30-10-2003 02:31 AM

I model from the hip. what i mean is, i use the 4 panel view for layout then i rotate in perspective view looking to see if all of the surfaces will fall where they are supposed to. I dont count my verts or try to line everything exactly to edit points while im laying out. I just pull push and rotate to make sure my 'cage' is looking pretty good and keep your curves as one solid curve until you have to break them up later on. with everything layed out i instert knots and start my snaping to edit points. Layout should get the points close enough to where they should be so that when i snap to my edit points, the cage really doesnt change. Right about this time i make sure i delete any unnecessary CV's. Too many cv's cause your surface to crease. after everything is in place, I give it one more look over and then start to break my curves apart at the junctions. after thats all done i use birail to create the sufaces. sometimes a surface may generate looking twisted, but insert some knots and keep moving. dont worry about the over abundance of geometry. once all my panels are created i rebuild them one by one to the dimensions needed. I wait till now to count the cv's because doing it in the begining gives you too much junk to babysit. now with a bunch of panels with big gaps i go straight to global, NO STITCH EDGE. (believe it or not) stitch edge waste time if you dont really need it. In general my method is pretty quick for me and i can produce a head in about 30 min to 1 hour. this method works great when i need to get all my work done by lunch.

iron_tick 30-10-2003 02:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
this one actually took 2 hours to this point because i was paying more attention to detail. about to start working on her lips.

iron_tick 30-10-2003 02:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
heres a break apart to give you an idea of the layout.

NitroLiq 30-10-2003 04:15 AM

I'd love to see a 4-panel screenshot on how you initially start building the cage if you have one handy.

iron_tick 30-10-2003 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here one i could find

NitroLiq 30-10-2003 05:38 PM

Great, thanks for that! Just curious, once you get the facial surfaces done, how are you constructing the rest of the head? Also, how do you model the lips?

iron_tick 31-10-2003 01:43 AM

Im actually cheating on this model. the back of the head is one piece and the ears are just created from projected curves on surface instead of being part of the head. This model will have a lot of hair to hide the seam there. the lips, i created those seperatly from the head then put them in. the lips are an attention object. i dont like to look at the rest of the head while im modelling the lips, it distracts me. i'm still not to happy with them so i'll get in the mood tomorrow and make more. thats the best thing about patch modelling you can take things from other models. as a matter of fact you can even stitch the edges if the geometry doesnt match.