Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lighting & Rendering (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Theater/Stage lighting (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25757)

missgreen16 05-04-2007 03:33 PM

Theater/Stage lighting

I am creating an animation where the action takes place on a stage in a theater. Anyone have some good tips on how to set up stage lighting? I created a main spotlight directed towards the stage, and 2 directional lights over the stage, but the lighting looks really harsh. I tried toning it down but it didn't seem to help. The shadows are also really dark and I don't know how to fix them. Any suggestions on how to make it look softer/warmer? Thanks.

Jay 05-04-2007 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Missgreen

I did this for a client, who never actually paid me in the end or acknowledged me, so Im actually putting this one up in defiance and also to help you out. I did this with one spotlight for the overall look and feel of being on stage. I used fog on the spotlight and comped it all together after. I also added a small light onto the character only to just to help rid of the shads.

Cheers
Jay

Radical Edward 05-04-2007 05:11 PM

Re: Theater/Stage lighting

Quote:

Originally posted by missgreen16
I am creating an animation where the action takes place on a stage in a theater. Anyone have some good tips on how to set up stage lighting? I created a main spotlight directed towards the stage, and 2 directional lights over the stage, but the lighting looks really harsh. I tried toning it down but it didn't seem to help. The shadows are also really dark and I don't know how to fix them. Any suggestions on how to make it look softer/warmer? Thanks.

one thing to remember is that in real life, light bounces around a heck of a lot. you can fake this by adding extra lights which are only linked to certain objects, so for example you might have a light (or even several) of low intensity that is only received by the curtain and floor and not any of the actors or props, and that will take the harshness out of shadows.

Jay 05-04-2007 05:32 PM

Also With regrds to Directional lights: as a rule try to see these as a sort of 'Sunlight' if you need to add to the scene use spots, you have a little more control

Cheers
Jay

mirek03 05-04-2007 06:49 PM

spots use less render time too, better to add the back drop in composite if it doesn't move (the backdrop) because of render times. shadows will add render time so you could try an extra pass for them alone too.., anyway, you do the maths on it.

what amazes me Jay, is how often people just take in this (the whole film world) and not pay or acknowledge?? its enough that one really has to be on guard. I have wasted weeks and months like that. Its like you need a water tight 'just in case you like it' contract before you start.

the gnomon vid on lights is amazing, I dont think SM has a tut devoted to lights. might get something on Kurt's free franky, I got half way through because uni fell on top of me but Kurt claims at the beginning to go over basic three piont lighting.

shadows do not have to be black.., navigate to 'shadows' in the AE editor (with the particular spotlight, whatever already selected ) and change the colour of the shadows there,eg.. in daytime, one might choose a very very dark blue to try and add some realism to the scene.., just woke up, Hope it makes sense. anyway, experiment.

Jay 06-04-2007 02:58 AM

Hey Mirek

Yeah unfortuantely it happened. I did a load of images for this guy with this same character in different guises, took about2 months out of my own personal work to do it and well, got shafted in the process. No more 'outside' work unless of course its for SM.

Cheers for now
Jay

mirek03 06-04-2007 04:46 AM

I hear that.., makes yu wonder eh?? (or just plain careful)