Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Oct / Nov - Meganoob: Haunted House - AlphaFlyte (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13761)

AlphaFlyte 02-10-2004 04:42 AM

Oct / Nov - Meganoob: Haunted House - AlphaFlyte

1 Attachment(s)
I'll give it a shot to learn basic modelling, scene lighting, hopefully dynamics and particles, fog and stuff hehe. This is my second ever attempt at environment and I'm already having fun. Time will be my biggest enemy as I have only a couple of hours every weekend.

There's no concept drawing, but the idea is pretty straight forward. A classic gothic haunted house where I will strive to give it an eerie ambiance. If I have time I'll slap on some sick details inspired by Jacobs Inferno.

dirack 02-10-2004 07:02 AM

Darn it, great concept :D :D :p

AlphaFlyte 02-10-2004 07:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quick concept lower mansion window. Trick now is to figure out how to model it hehe. PS: Feel free to use it or modify it anyway you want if you like the idea/architecture.

AlphaFlyte 02-10-2004 11:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Accidental RPG cosy cottage look. Will be remedied of course. Fixing proportions and less mental ray casting weirdness. Got the window modelled though wheee. Next modelling task will be a frontdoor bay tower thing in the middle and some more towers on the roof of course, but out of time for now.

Update:

Gold_Phoenix 02-10-2004 01:22 PM

its a very nice start!

mtmckinley 02-10-2004 02:30 PM

Good progress!

t3logy 02-10-2004 05:52 PM

Great start.

ckyuk 02-10-2004 06:48 PM

Quote:

meganoob
Does't look like it. Looks great so far.

gohan1842 02-10-2004 06:48 PM

yea u shouldnt be in noob section. u should change to normal.

ckyuk 02-10-2004 06:52 PM

I think you'd be guaranteed to win if you stay in the noob section.

mtmckinley 02-10-2004 07:10 PM

I see no reason to bump him to normal yet

Psuedo Realizm 02-10-2004 08:16 PM

dont put him in normal mike... i'm in normal... i got enough competition as it is let alone this "meganoob" and his "megacool" haunted house:D

AlphaFlyte 02-10-2004 09:24 PM

Hmm valid points about the choice of category. I don't feel the need to defend or justify myself, but perhaps if you know me a little better you too will be comfortable with my choice of noob.

Background:
I chose beginner because I am one, not in order to win. This challenge lies within.
I have less than a couple of weeks hands-on experience with a 3D application over a period of 6 months. No, I'm not a wizkid and never will be hehe. What you see is hard work that took me several hours to figure out and model, and several months to grasp basic concepts as shading and texturing which I know nearly nothing about still hehe. I model extremly slow because I do not yet know the "right" way of doing things. I have to start over several times before I get a decent mesh I'm happy with.
That's one of the reasons I'm in beginner category. It takes me a day to model something Mike does in 10 minutes hehe.

What you see in this thread is a direct result of what I've learned from watching the simplymaya.com video tutorials, a decent eye for what looks ok, an amount of imagination and creativity, and some sense of basic art concepts. And of course, still a lot of bad technique hehe.

If at a later time the result is in par with normal compo I have no problem with being bumped. At this point I think I could only dream of making the quality of the last challenge competitors. The results from normal were waaaay out of my league.

This said I encourage everyone in newbie category to dream up mindblowing concepts. Grand ideas are bigger than technique in my humble oppinion.

Psuedo Realizm 02-10-2004 11:26 PM

hehe i was just pokin fun with ya.. i dont even feel that i'm ready for normal either... but maybe if i'm lucky i'll win a mug... learning maya while i drink coffee out of my maya mug... that'd be sweet:)

Pony 03-10-2004 01:05 AM

Great start so far. Welcome to the challanges. the more the better.