Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Challenge Forum (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   New Challenge Ideas Welcome (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34528)

gster123 22-10-2010 07:46 PM

New Challenge Ideas Welcome

Hi guys,

After this challenge how about another?

There was a thread about a word challenge (if I remember rightly, please correct me with the correct idea).

Now another idea in the hat, how about a Christmas one? By the time it finishes it will be the festive season, make a christmas card scene? Could be a nice one for sending oput to friends, relatives, loved ones, or hated ones as the case may be!

Love it, hate it, its an idea...

I'm open for other ideas and will go on the most liked. Lets get ideas together, i'll then post a poll and vote, best idea wins, simple!

22-10-2010 10:52 PM

I have an idea, pretty simple and open to creativity, how about a game scene? Like a battle area in a first person shooter type of scene. You know, like, interior of a warehouse or something, Challenge would be to be unique, keep it under a pre-determined poly count, use good textures/normal maps to bring out the detail.

I could see it being a popular one :p

tweetytunes 22-10-2010 11:04 PM

Why are there two threads on this topic ???

23-10-2010 12:04 AM

Is there?

stwert 23-10-2010 12:56 AM

Yeah, two threads...? But anyway, I'm going to put in my vote for something a little more open to interpretation, like a concept challenge rather than a "use the modelling module of maya to make a single organic shape". Word challenge, anything that has to do with soup.. a bi-chromatic modelling and texturing challenge. Something outside the box.

tweetytunes 23-10-2010 01:11 AM

http://srv01.simply3dworld.com/showt...threadid=34529

23-10-2010 09:37 AM

Ah, hadn;t noticed that:ninja:

THX1138 23-10-2010 08:47 PM

I would still like to see another word challenge, but a 3D challenge would be cool also since alot of movies now days are going 3D, and we have never had a 3D challenge before here at SM.

A Christmas challenge kind of limits you to Christmas trees/lights, ornaments and gifts, santa, elves and reindeer. Not much there that really gets the imagination going IMO, but I guess that all depends on what the project is, and how cool you can make it look.

gubar 29-10-2010 10:59 AM

Hi,

I think a challenge based on lighting, texturing and shading would be interesting.

Using a pre-made scene with a fixed camera if possilbe, so it's all about the finishing.

Seen something similar on another forum a couple of years back that used a bowl of fruit and I thought it was a good idea.

cheers

gubar

honestdom 29-10-2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gubar
Hi,

I think a challenge based on lighting, texturing and shading would be interesting.

Using a pre-made scene with a fixed camera if possilbe, so it's all about the finishing.

Seen something similar on another forum a couple of years back that used a bowl of fruit and I thought it was a good idea.

cheers

gubar

i agree, i think i said this on the other thread, but +1 from me.

THX1138 29-10-2010 11:22 PM

@Gubar, That would be the lighting challenges over at CG talk right?

Those are really cool to watch.

Joopson 30-10-2010 04:57 AM

I really like the idea of redoing that grand old challenge of remaking your favorite retro game character or scene.
It was the first challenge I ever entered here, and it was quite a blast; I learned a lot.

I feel like people would jump at such an opportunity.

However, the lighting project is cool too. You would have to limit it to Mental-Ray only though, probably.

tweetytunes 30-10-2010 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Joopson
I really like the idea of redoing that grand old challenge of remaking your favorite retro game character or scene.
It was the first challenge I ever entered here, and it was quite a blast; I learned a lot.

I feel like people would jump at such an opportunity.

However, the lighting project is cool too. You would have to limit it to Mental-Ray only though, probably.

Was it just make a old school character or redesign them - iva way would be cool.

Joopson 30-10-2010 04:24 PM

I believe we could remake them, or put our own spin on them.

gubar 31-10-2010 10:57 AM

THX1138,

that was the one, was fun to watch and learn from.

cheers

gubar