Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Fall Challenge - Adventure Hero! (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33035)

mtmckinley 08-09-2009 05:23 PM

Fall Challenge - Adventure Hero!

Serial Adventure Hero!

http://rcrawford79.files.wordpress.c...iana_jones.jpg
http://ffmedia.ign.com/filmforce/ima...1099971628.jpg
http://gry.onet.pl/_i/galerie/sexy/l...versary_03.jpg

Welcome to the next challenge! Let's kick it up a notch. This challenge's topic is Adventure Heroes! Zorro, Indiana Jones, Buck Rogers, Sherlock Holmes, Flash Gordon... all of these classic heroes all had a swashbuckling, over-the-top, sometimes cheesy and campy nature that was just overflowing in adventure, excitement, and just no-worries fun for the whole family on a Saturday morning radio serial.

In this challenge, challenge yourself in creating your very own serial adventure hero in this style! It could be a Dick Tracy crime character, a tomb-raiding Lara Croft type, a Sci-Fi Flash Gordon style... the limit is only your imagination!

A couple guides:

1) Texturing is not required... but encouraged.

2) You can be super-duper-high-res or do low-poly game models... your choice!

3) Name your threads something like Hero Name : Your Name

4) Any 3D or 2D program can be used.

Feel free to ask any questions in this thread. There's no prize yet, but if that changes, I'll let you know. Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

Deadline Noon November 30th (USA Pacific Time)!

tweetytunes 08-09-2009 05:29 PM

OOOooooooh I like it

ColdWave 08-09-2009 05:49 PM

Very cool i'm in again.

p.s Mastone your indiana is here :D :D :D :D

stwert 08-09-2009 06:50 PM

Almost three whole months for this one... I may actually finish something this time :)

Joopson 08-09-2009 07:45 PM

OH GEEZUM!
Sounds flipping fun!
I hope I have time.... I will sketch either way ;)
We will see.

Dango77 08-09-2009 08:27 PM

Sounds great! I have a couple of ideas that might be fun to do, but as with Joopson I'll have to work out if I have the time to put into it. Don't want to have to back out half way through again...lol

Though 3 months does make it quite a bit easier to do this and other projects at the same time!

mastone 08-09-2009 08:52 PM

If someone does Indiana Jones ............ I"ll have to kill that person.............LOL.

Yes Coldwave you had it correctly it 's my Indy and MINE ALONE WHOAAAAAHAHAHAHAH.

But it wouldn't be fair for me to be entering with a farely completed image whilest others will have to start from scratch.

Who is that guy in the middle picture anyways? don't know him :)

Not sure if I will enter though I still have to finish Indy(and the surroundings -I am still modeling the cloister of petra in Jordany, the place I want to pose him in and maybe if I deem it good enough I will send a final image to 3d world and after that I want to finish Voldemort properly And I do like to sleep occasionally..... :)

Dango77 08-09-2009 09:16 PM

If you read the criteria for this challenge again, it says
"In this challenge, challenge yourself in creating your very own serial adventure hero in this style!"
Meaning you couldn't enter a character that already exists anyway.

Hope it stay's this way, I'd personally prefer it wasn't a mix of newly made characters, and one's that already exist, like a couple of the challenges have been changed to part way through.
One or the other is fine, but together seems a bit too un-categorised for me.

Just my opinion though!

tweetytunes 08-09-2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mastone
Who is that guy in the middle picture anyways? don't know him :)

That my man is Nathan Fillion aka Captain Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds

My god did they not have Firefly in the Netherlands , fantastic little show (thank you joss - stuff you FOX errrrr ) and a monster of a movie Serenity (the name of the ship in firefly - in case you get confused film based of the tv show).

I think my character is going to alone the lines of this guy sci fi westerns are sooo cool.

stwert 08-09-2009 09:38 PM

+1 on firefly being an awesome show!! :)

mastone 08-09-2009 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tweetytunes
That my man is Nathan Fillion aka Captain Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds
My god did they not have Firefly in the Netherlands , fantastic little show (thank you joss - stuff you FOX errrrr ) and a monster of a movie Serenity (the name of the ship in firefly - in case you get confused film based of the tv show).

I think my character is going to alone the lines of this guy sci fi westerns are sooo cool.

I think they have aired that show actually and maybe I have watched it on a blue monday but it didn't stick I guess.
I don't watch that much tv actually If I look at my tv i either bought a new videogame or I have a new blueray disc or something

Quote:

Originally posted by
Dango77

If you read the criteria for this challenge again, it says
"In this challenge, challenge yourself in creating your very own serial adventure hero in this style!"

Thank god no Indy rapists....If I see only one Fedora.... LOL

Lion`I 08-09-2009 11:57 PM

I’m up for a challenge, so count me in

:beer:

honestdom 10-09-2009 04:09 PM

looks like i have a free weekend (the girlfriend is away at a festival)

so....

I think i might try a low poly character. I have a couple of questions tho.

How many polys would be a limit for a hero character in a next gen game?
What size maps would a hero model have?

Dango77 10-09-2009 04:15 PM

The average poly count for a next gen game character is around 10-12000 as far as I know, for main characters a few games have gone as far as 20000,but that's not the norm,and map sizes are either 512 or 1028, but some are now using multiple maps and I'm not sure the sizes when they do that, I'd assume 512 for each, but could all be 1028....

honestdom 10-09-2009 04:23 PM

I just saw the wireframe for the Infamous character, it seems pretty high res.
I just wanted something low poly so i could bash out a lot of the work over the weekend. 20k seems pretty generous i shall look into this game modeling thing.

...i assume you mean 1024 :P