Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Floating Windows? is it possible? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32929)

mr pix. 20-08-2009 09:42 AM

Floating Windows? is it possible?

Hi,

Is there any wya in maya you can create a floating window where you can view a video. i.e a reference movie for example.

Rather than keep minimizing maya or making maya's whole window smaller

Thanx guys?

Gen 20-08-2009 07:10 PM

Couldn't you just use windows media player and set its options to stay on top of other windows?

mr pix. 20-08-2009 11:19 PM

wow...thanx... 1) i didnt know media player does that...

and 2) i need quicktime as i can frame through it.

If i can frame through in media then u are the answer to all myprayers!

However,...whether it works or not. Thank you so much GecT!!

Gen 21-08-2009 02:50 AM

Well there's a bit of freeware out there than can do that, Deskpins does it. Also xNeat's windows manager has the ability to keep windows on top and even change transparency and I know it definitely works with QT, there's a commercial and a freeware version, the freeware version does what I need it to do and I'm running it on Vista x64 with no problems sooo I guess that can help you out.

Dango77 21-08-2009 02:05 PM

I know you've got the answer that's probably best for now, but I'd look into getting a second monitor at some point if it is possible for you to do so.
It took me many months to get mine but if you want to get into 3d work seriously,having two two monitors really does help a lot!
I know it's not always an option but for following tutorials etc it's a wonder compared to smaller windows or switching between them. And it's brilliant for reference images whilst working on a model.
So even if it takes a while saving those hard earned pennies, it's worth it in the long run.

mr pix. 21-08-2009 02:15 PM

yh ive been thinking about getting a second monitor. But not really good preperation for the industry no?

Coz you'll good at what you do,..granted but surely wont you come to depend on it, then when you get a job in 3d chances are you wont be lucky enough to have one in your first job.However, not a big deal if you have to go from 2 monitors to one monitor. lol

Nevertheless a second monitor would be awesome and would anser ALL my problems yes.

Thanks DANGO77 :D

Dango77 21-08-2009 02:33 PM

I see your point, but I think alike to studying form, proportion etc in school, you don't take that knowledge you learn in a physical form to your place of work, it is stored in your head for future use.

So having a second monitor for research and reference is only an aid to your learning, and I'm pretty sure if you said to your future employer "I'm bringing in a second monitor to improve my workflow, is that ok?", that it would not be met with a negative response! lol!

And with your mind full of the knowledge you've learnt by that point hopefully you wouldn't be bothered by a quick change of window to double check part of a reference pic.

Just an idea anyway, everyone works in a slightly different way, and as long as you stick to the base rules of the area you are studying,and get to the result you are after the path you take is not quite as important.

Best of luck with your journey to that result!

mr pix. 21-08-2009 02:38 PM

wow just downloaded XNeat Windows manager, and yes, it controls anyway window you want to stay on top of any window ou want.

Awesome stuff. Thanx so much guys, You're all very kind