Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finished Work (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Gallery submission (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8615)

polygon9000 26-10-2003 07:04 PM

Les Abortus : possible gallery submission.

Still from an animation for my demo reel...some people say its controversial...I wont tell you what the picture means as i myself cant put a finger on what it means!Sometimes imagination is best left alone in its pure form without deriving any logical meaning out of it but i want your opinions on what this visual means for YOU.Critique it to smithereens please!!
Used Maya 5 and faked depth of field in photoshop(only for the still).
Thats all.
thanks.
Sid

http://www.toothedd.com/lesabortus.jpg

http://www.toothedd.com/abortus_wire.jpg

Zyk0tiK 26-10-2003 09:36 PM

i like it :D

Bryce 26-10-2003 09:44 PM

Thats cool. Could you render it for me in the following resolution:
2560x1280? :D
Dual Monitors, you know...
So, could you? :D

polygon9000 26-10-2003 10:15 PM

thanks
lol bryce!those resolutions are not entirely out of reach but i'll give it a thought.

howardporter 27-10-2003 01:17 AM

It looks awesome - do you have any of the animation rendered yet? I would love to see those fetus's moving about :D

Lucid Ninja 27-10-2003 02:37 AM

great rendering
it reminds me of a tool video.
Seems a bit post apocolyptic.
"Les Abortus" gives it a heavy overtone
It seems to be in miniature...I dont know why though.
it is simple with alot of feeling.
overall very cool I think.

iron_tick 27-10-2003 01:41 PM

can you give more info about your render?

Alan 27-10-2003 01:46 PM

I really like it well done, nice composition, (i think the two front fetuses should be more brightly lit though as they are the first thing your eye sees and they are kinda blacked out).

One question I have though is how come you have so much geometry in your walls? they are flat areas and so you can get away with one or two polys.... ;) it would also cut your render times :)

Alan

Bryce 27-10-2003 02:09 PM

Ahh! Thanks for giving it a thought! :)

But, suddenly I spotted a thing on that picture:
I guess in the window in the background, there are rods in there,
but in every blank the light has another angle of incidence, you know?! :D
Hmmm...

polygon9000 27-10-2003 05:34 PM

yeah actually i wanted to use displacement mapping thats why the geometry looks heavy, also was trying to bake the lighting on a vertex basis but that didnt work out so if this thing takes forever to render im going to cut down on the poly count cause i dont need all those extra polys now.The foetus's were intended to be dark so that they would fall into heavy contrast with the environment making them not only catch your eye but also be on the ominous side(im a huge fan of east european cinema).That piece of machinery on the wall on the left is just a random thing that i modelled( found outside my college lab).Again the whole scene was modeled and lit in 2 days cause im on a major deadline on completing my reel so theres not much animation going on with the foetuses, theyre floating around with minimal movement.Textures are all 1k with a hand painted reflection map on the floor.
Used mental ray with global illumination and final gathering, using one physical spotlight with fog for the sunbeams coming through the window and 4 light cards in the doors(pieces of simple geometry that emit light) creating the pools of light scattering around the place,adding to the overall lighting in the scene.
Bryce those arent rods really, its a wooden frame window with the glass missing, something that you would normally see in japanese houses.Those windows that use paper instead of glass.

vladimirjp 22-11-2003 04:12 AM

wow great job.
but...
the floor is too glossy, it stands out TOO much.
IMHO, a reflective floor is not very coherant with such a great moody scene. i would localize the reflections on specific areas to give hint of dirty water, the DOF is great, but sharpen it a bit near the window, the grainy effect does not do it to well,, i think if the area near the window looked (motion) blurred with a slight trail, that would really strenghten your already great composition.
I wish i was at your level, your work is very inspiring.

p.s. my english is not great, oh mon dieu, but try

Ra1Der 24-11-2003 11:44 AM

I dont think the floor stands out to much, it looks wet I think the texturing is amazing, real nice job!

Scraggy_dog 25-11-2003 05:32 PM

I really like it, and see that you have captured that eastern european stark effect.
I agree with Lucid Ninja and think that indeed it does look "minature" for some reason? I wonder is it the depth of field you added in Photoshop that makes it that way?
As to the floor I like it like it is, for me the floor is wet because every so often it gets 'flushed' using the device(s) on the wall, in fact I would add a bit of "wet" to the bottoms of the walls... But it's not mine so... Great work - would love to see the animation.

Scraggy