Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Modeling a Tub / Pipe With Texture (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18672)

aduguay 15-10-2005 06:34 PM

Modeling a Tub / Pipe With Texture

Hello all you Maya pro's!!

I'm still new to Maya and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some tips.

I have to Model a Pipe that has a texture on it. I need to Animate a camera down this Pipe as if we where flying through it.

Here is an example of what it should look like.

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/F...ng1.html#file0

I thought of extruding a circle along a curve for the pipe. But how would I do the texture, and achieve the lighting like in this photo?

Hope someone can help.

Adam

Shadeblade 15-10-2005 06:45 PM

The link doesn't work for me.

sspikedudley 15-10-2005 06:48 PM

yes go with exturing the circle down the curve, then take a look at some of the preset textures in Maya some of these may suit your needs you could even go about and add a layered texture node which you can then plug multiple textures in to get a layered effect on your pipe, so for example you could add a noise texture for a general colour, then go and add a corrorsion texture for a rust effect, then plug these both into the layered texture and plug that into your material, if you want lighting all the way down your pipe when animating, simply set up a lighting rig with is perented to the camera so for example you could have the light just sitting behind the camera pointing out and wherever the camera will go the light will follow

aduguay 15-10-2005 08:04 PM

Pipe Grid Lines

Thanks for the reply!!

The Pipe I'm building is supposed to represent in inner Pipe of a Cable from
an internet connection. (Or Internet Cable provider)

Here are the examples... hopefully this link works,

http://homepage.mac.com/adamduguay/FileSharing1.html

Pipe_A.jpg is what it needs to look like. Pipe_B.jpg is my model so far.
IÕve used the Maya preset grid texture to create the lines. One of the problems I'm having is the closer you get to the corners/curves of the pipe, the lines seem to get closer together. Then on the longer/straighter parts of the Pipe they get further apart. Is there a way to keep the lines even throughout the hole pipe? I'm guessing but I think its because of the geometry of the Pipe itself. There are more isoparms closer to the corners then the straight-aways. So in turn the UV mapping of the texture is replicating this? Does this make sense? If so should I re-build the Pipe a different way.

Gees it's hard being a newbi!

Hope you can help, Its much appreciated,

Adam

sspikedudley 15-10-2005 08:08 PM

ok theres another way to do this if you have access to Maya 7 use the new toon outline feature, let me know if you have 7 then I can go into the options for the correct look

aduguay 15-10-2005 08:18 PM

Yes!!

Yes I'm running Maya 7. Your thinking of using the new Toon shading for this hey?
Very Cool, I have never used it before still pretty new to Maya. IÕve heard its great..
can you explain how to use it in this scenario?

Thanks for the quick replies. This forum rocks!

Adam

aduguay 15-10-2005 08:23 PM

Lighting Panels

In addition,

They might want to animate the panels so the brightness of them is changing down the Pipe. So the rows of panels light up and darken giving the illusion that the light is traveling down the Pipe.
Not sure if you can animate Toon shading as well. But I'm probably getting ahead of myself. I was thinking at first that I would have to create an animated
texture map.

Adam

sspikedudley 15-10-2005 08:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok for the lines on the tube first of all, get your tube with the amount of divisions for th amount of panels you want around and running down the pipe then goto your toon panel and assign a new outline to the model, take this and turn down the min crease to 0 and turn Hard Edges Only to OFF this will then give you a clear outline of your wireframe, you an also turn down the Max crease Value to 0 to get thick lines

then convert your paint strokes to polygons and delete history and you have a nice look like in the images

I have attached a quick sample of what I mean

Hope it helps

aduguay 16-10-2005 01:25 AM

Progress

O.K Ive got the Pipe Built with the number of desired isoparms for the
lines. I've assigned a new Toon outine to the model. I turned down
Crease Angle Min to 0, and unchecked Hard Creases Only.

It seems that its outputing allot of geometry. Like Triangles? I dont see my original isoparms any more? and how do I change the color of the lines and panels? to grey and white?

sspikedudley 16-10-2005 10:19 AM

if you have converted your stroke to polygons delete it and goto display -> show -> show all and you will have your stroke back go onto its attributes and you can change the colou of the outline, then go into hypershade create a desired material for your pipe and apply it to the pipe