Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Modeling (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   create cd surface (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5776)

tony 15-05-2003 09:04 PM

create cd surface

hi gang
i'm trying to create a spinning cd animation, but i can't get the diffraction texture to radiate out from the centre - i just get parallel lines

i'm putting the texture on to a flattened poly cylinder - acan anyone tell me where i'm going wrong

cheers
tony

adldesigner 15-05-2003 09:17 PM

Can you post a screenshot? or image?

tony 15-05-2003 09:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hi, adldesigner
here is a screenshot

tony

ragecgi 16-05-2003 12:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Do you have your shader settings like this image from A|W?

(notice that METHOD is set to CD)

I-Iybrid 16-05-2003 01:44 AM

....theres a CD shader..? Man, where have I been :rolleyes:

tony 16-05-2003 08:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hi, rage

attached the shader settings - method is set to cd - could it be because i'm trying to put effect on the end of a cylinder that's causing problems

is there a better way to approach this?

seems like the basic problem is to get the shader to wrap in a circle rather than staight - i'm still learning basics so haven't quite got a handle on how it all works yet

cheers
t

ragecgi 16-05-2003 02:36 PM

hmmm.. yeah, it might be your cylinder geometry... not sure tho...

Have you mapped the cylinder cap with a projection before applying the shader?

...sorry, kinda out of my league here... anyone wanna chime in?

NitroLiq 16-05-2003 03:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I just downloaded the shader and built a quick CD using a pair of lofted concentric circles. Using the settings from A|W's site, I got it in the general ballpark (see attached image). I also created a pair of cylinders - one poly and one NURBS - and applied the shader. The results are what they should be and not that extreme rainbow effect that you're getting so my first guess is it has something to do with either your geometry, the camera angle, and the shader's brightness setting...or a combination perhaps.

Try this: create a NURBS circle, duplicate and scale it to create the inner hole. Then loft between the two. Now, apply your shader using the settings Rage posted, do an IPR render and start tweaking settings. If you look at the AW settings screenshot, they've connected additional nodes so don't be afraid to experiment a little bit.

Hope this helps some.

NitroLiq 16-05-2003 03:53 PM

Crap, can someone delete this and the duplicate post above for me?

tony 16-05-2003 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
many thanks, nitro

it was lofting between the circles that did the trick

knocked this up in a few minutes after that

t

ragecgi 17-05-2003 12:54 AM

Great!

Thanks again Nitro!

tony 17-05-2003 07:50 PM

ok, so far, so good

next thing is i want to attach a file to the transparency input of the diffraction shader (to get the clear bit on the outer and inner edges) - have been trying for ages, and all that happens is the image turns black

have tried the same things with objects with just a regular shader - and it works - anyone have any idea why ican't do it with the diffraction shader

cheers,
t

ragecgi 17-05-2003 10:56 PM

I havn't looked at the shader to see if there is an editable, or locked-out transparency node,
but try making a layered shader with:
-a basic Blinn on the bottom containing your ramp transparency,
-then add the diffraction shader on top of that at about 80% opacity with a blend mode of ADD.
(or try them all to see what might work best for a blend mode:)

Good luck!

M 18-05-2003 01:47 AM

hey tony.. looks like from that render you showed.... you may want to do a y axis planar map on that thing :). It could solve that line down one side. Looks good though

NitroLiq 18-05-2003 02:40 AM

Transparency is editable (r,g,b). I haven't had the time to play with it, though.