Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   "distribute selected" in maya? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29316)

blueox01 17-03-2008 01:36 AM

"distribute selected" in maya?

I have tried different terminology for this function in the search and on the web and i cant find a tool that will evenly distribute selected objects. Can someone help me with this issue?
Thanks,
-Ry

NeoStrider 17-03-2008 01:57 AM

don't think it can be done in maya... but the term you're looking for is array.

mirek03 17-03-2008 02:06 AM

if it the same object you have some function with 'duplicate special' it allows you to duplicate an object as many times as you want with control of translation and scale.

might help yu

M:)

NeoStrider 17-03-2008 02:11 AM

oh true forgot about that...

mirek03 17-03-2008 05:35 AM

strider HOW could you forget that.., :) more to the point, how did i remember it???

cheers :)

NeoStrider 17-03-2008 06:02 AM

lol perhaps cause i've only performed a 'duplicate special' once before.

blueox01 19-03-2008 11:58 AM

Ok,
That feature will work.

Don't you guys think that "distribute selected evenly" would be useful?
-Ry

mirek03 19-03-2008 09:13 PM

maybe in some cases.., like architecture where its patterns, ect.., but the real world is not distributed evenly.

but sure, i could see some use for it, its just there are other ways to move things to where you want them. curve snapping, grid snapping,

animated snapshot, animated sweep.., ect

dont take too much seriously here, just take note of the facts rather than personalities until you have been here a while, thats how i deal with most forums, but everyones different :)

blueox01 19-03-2008 11:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well,
Thanks again for help. I get that its called an array, I just took that terminology from Photoshop.

mirek03 19-03-2008 11:26 PM

i dont know what you are doing.., whether it txt or what.., maya is great, maya is king.., but sometimes one can get a better result using another ap.., especially with text.., unless you want to use particles and surface emissions for special text effects..,

when using text.., stick with PS or AE.., unless you have your scene well planned and maya is the only way you can get what you want.., the times are a changing and now us digital artists have to become rocket scientists, learn a number of compositing apps (plus maya), learn about radiosity, reflection, occlusion, specularity, shadows, degrees kelvin and how that translates into our outdoor lighting.., ect, ect.., just to get a good motion graphic..?? at this rate ill soon be selling the computers and heading back to the coconut trees in Samartra with my pencil, paper and accoustic guitar :)

take care, its about the time of day i take my prozac (joking) :)

blueox01 22-03-2008 10:32 PM

dude.., dude.., seriously.., english.., do you speak it?

mirek03 22-03-2008 11:53 PM

dude.., dude.., seriously.. no need for sarcasm..,

was just trying to help :)

do i speak English?? Im Australian, I speak Australian.., :) does that count??

well if you dont understand what i said and you want to do CGI.., best you learn about it.

get a dictionary, and go slowly.., you will figure it out eventually..,

if you just want to play with Maya.., then play and dont bother with CGI :)

because there is much more to VFX than maya.., maya is just for making elements.(and distributing objects for example)

all the 'english' you dont understand is actually within maya.., its rendering and its the various aspects of lighting.., wait until you do texturing and advanced shaders, its not english, its MAYA SPEAK :)

the rest was me acknowledging the difficulty of understanding CGI.

good luck,