Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   SimplyMaya Tutorials (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Adding to the Dog Pile (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14624)

raredesign 07-12-2004 03:05 PM

Adding to the Dog Pile

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I am at work right now and I haven't checked how this looks since last night. I was falling asleep working on it last night, and I don't know if I ruined anything, but all I remember is that even though everything appeared to be going smooth and all of the first uions worked...I got to the back left leg and it is the common story of boolean tall tale. This is only my 3rd day working with a modeling program, but I need your help. Sorry I am asking so soon; I would usually take more time on it, but I am working three jobs and I am really tired when I get home. The video is excellent and shows how to fix it, which of course I can follow along and do it, but I cannot split the polygon...why? I try drawing the line around the dogs leg, and nothing happens...I just want to split the poly and delete the new faces for the dogs leg to be joined. I want to do it myself, so if I can just be pointed in the right direction I would appreciate that much more than someone doing it for me and saying it is all set.

Thank you very much. Here is the file so you can see what I am talking about.

Raredesign

raredesign 08-12-2004 12:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I think I am coming along on something. In this pic, you can see the problem with the lines. I previously had used the split polygon tool on the dogs backside and then it wouldnt work anymore, so I tried deleting the previous ones. Look at the right pane...when I deleted a line...it appeared to still be there. I had to delete about 8 - 10 stacked lines....what the heck happend??? lol. Anyway, I think that this may have PART of the problem. I tried to redraw the lines after deleting them and I CANT. This thing is running mega-slow now, and I must have done something last night as I fell asleep on the keyboard lol...seriously..I am new to all this, I am really mainly into hardware and programming and some php and webdesign too. I figured since I am an amature photographer and a seasoned artist, that I could use some of my creativity. I hope to get this problem resolved so I can continue, besides...this is a great learning experience. Thanks all.

Andrew

Kurt 08-12-2004 01:14 AM

Post up the file mate and I'll have a look at it when i get a free second...

raredesign 08-12-2004 02:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here is the file...it was in the first post, but here is the one from where i made the changes.

Also, are you the guy who made the tutorials??? Amazing!

Kurt 08-12-2004 04:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok bud figure out what was causing the problems.... You had a lot of extra faces that where messing things up. First set a setting for me..... Go to polygons> tool options> and select keep faces together. This will stop the problem from happening again with extra faces.

Below is a pic before I fixed it, you will see a lot of small blue squares in places they should not be along edge lines.

Kurt 08-12-2004 04:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres the fixed file your back leg should work now.

raredesign 08-12-2004 04:36 AM

Thank you so very much :) ...I am a little tight on cash lately due to lawyers and immigration work trying to get my girlfriend here, but once i get some money steady...I think i will really enjoy going through all of these tutorials.

Thanks again.

raredesign 08-12-2004 05:51 AM

well i thought all was ok.

First off, other than Poly >> tool options , how can i fix it.

I opened the file you gave me, but it will not open. I get an error.

Maya binary file parse error: : (6) corrupted file structure

and the script editor says:

// Error: line 1: Unknown Maya file version: 6.0. //
// File read in 0 seconds.
// Warning: Errors have occurred while reading this scene that may result in data loss.
Please check the Script Editor for details. //
// Error: Error reading file. //
// Error: //

I have version 6 though.

Thanks again.

raredesign 09-12-2004 04:16 PM

i dont really need anything more than to know how to delete the extra faces...instead of one by one...or is that how i have to do it. Cause i selected the option the Kurt said, but now that i see all the points, how do i delete the excess without going through the thousands individually?

Also could someone download that fixed file, and see if you guys get the same problem and cannot open it?

Thank you all again,

Andrew