Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Train in sunset (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15759)

antiant 07-03-2005 06:22 AM

Train in sunset

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all, Just wanted to get my lighting right before i did any modeling. what do you think ? look correct?

mhcannon 07-03-2005 06:31 AM

Nice moody lighting. The silouette will hide most of the detail in your modelling, so you should be able to keep detail on the train down... if you want.

antiant 07-03-2005 06:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
haha thats exactly what i was thinking.
Heres one with some GI on it. Its better i think, more vibarant.

antiant 07-03-2005 10:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is where im up to. Leaving the hardest till last ;)

morg002 08-03-2005 10:50 PM

Looks good. You might want to add some details to the water like small ripples and maybe a few rocks. It seems a bit too smooth. I would also recommend adding a few more items to the foreground to add some depth and scale to the scene. If you add more details the the foreground, you can lower your camera closer to the ground for greater depth. You might also try to add fog to the scene to make any distant objects look further away.

I really like the lighting. Too add even more details you could add things like telephone poles or old fences to make their silouette stand out aganst the high contrast background. They are easy to model and can add a better sense of scale.

Keep up the good work. Hope to see the final version.

antiant 09-03-2005 01:13 AM

Hey thanks for the great ideas. Some of that stuff will make a bit difference. Im away working for the next weeks so i wont be able to do any work on it. Im thinking of doing a old steam train. So i guess that would rule out the power poles idea. But love that other suggestions.

Cheers mate.

mhcannon 09-03-2005 02:06 AM

Make 'em telegraph poles :)

antiant 17-03-2005 12:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys.
Sorry for not updateing for ages, been busy. Anyway this is what ive done so far.
Im not happy with the carrage wheels they looks crap, i need to do some more research on them.
Anything you dont like?
ah.. oops, just relised there is no reflection of the smoke . hehe :confused:

soreel 17-03-2005 03:39 PM

looks great - how did you create the water? are you using fluids? softbody dynamics?

morg002 17-03-2005 04:28 PM

Starting to look very nice... :) Your image has much more depth now. Love the water effects too. Great Job!

mhcannon 17-03-2005 04:31 PM

nice work on the foreground, but I miss some to moodiness that was in the test renders. They seemed hazier.

antiant 17-03-2005 09:25 PM

cheers for the comments..

soreel -
The way i did the water was to make a nurbs plane, then i just applied the water shader to it. I used Fractal bump map to make it look like there was a slight wind..
Then to do the ripples, i created another plane, and placed it over top, added the exact shader as the last one, and made a bump map by useing the ramp, and makeing it a circular ramp, to give it the ripple effect.

mhcannon-
You always crit my work. i appriciate that..
I was wondering why its not so hazy now, and i think the reason is, cause i have a ambient light in the scene, i turned it down and cause i felt it was takeing away too much definition of the shadows being cast by the directional light (sun). So i kinda like the more contrast look.

Thanks again guys.