Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   need some advice on starting (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23762)

WynterNyght 03-11-2006 09:35 AM

need some advice on starting

Hey guys, im going to be starting a project for a band, It will be centered around a guillotine. I was wondering if any of you had any advice on how to get started modeling it and such. This marks my first project of my own, no tutorials or anything.

Hellspawnuk 03-11-2006 11:27 AM

Well, the first thing to do is go look at a guillotine, see if you can find some good pictures or blueprints, and using those as your references start to model it.

publicFunction 03-11-2006 07:07 PM

Hells advise is top notch. Get hold of as much reference material as you can. Also if you know someone who has one, then he/se is weird, but ask if you can borrow it LOL.

Seriously tho, go to a museum if there is one nearby that has one, study it and imagine it as it is, but made out of the basic primatives then you an refine and model it out to suit the needs of your project.

Hope this helps.

gster123 03-11-2006 07:25 PM

Yep, both these guys are right, reference is key, make some sketches using simple cubes, spheres etc and go from there, adding details when the basics are down.

Cheers

WynterNyght 04-11-2006 04:17 AM

thanks guys for the advice, i have until the middle of febuary to finish it. So i have plenty of time. I dont forsee getting the basic shape a problem, just getting the details and texuring it.

ckyuk 04-11-2006 04:27 AM

Sounds like your going for a dark mood with the guillotine idea. If so i'd concentrate most of my time on lighting the scene rather then making an amazingly detailed model. But Hellspawnuk's advice is the best anyone can give, get as much reference information as you can.

WynterNyght 04-11-2006 04:52 AM

Yup im def trying to get a dark mood, i have it all pictured in my head. i want to add blood on the blade and on the guillotine itself. But yeh i want it to be dark and maybye eerie feeling. Im just not sure if i have the skill yet to pull off what i have imagined in my head lol.

Hellspawnuk 04-11-2006 06:11 AM

Very very few people do when they first start out. It's all practice, practice, practice. It will take time for you to develop the skills but they will come.

WynterNyght 04-11-2006 05:57 PM

thanks hells, ive been trying to learn maya since dec. But school and work have been taking up most of my time so ive had very little time to take maya aside, and work with it. Im graduating next spring with a BA in game design, and im kinda feeling rushed and put on the spot to learn maya and 3d in general since i dont have much time left.

publicFunction 04-11-2006 06:24 PM

Dude,

I have been using Maya for just over 1 year and I am still learning the tools for modelling. As Hell suggested play with it and you will learn lots, get hold of as much tutorial work you can and go through it.

Also I found doing Challenges a really good way to learn as its a project you have done on your own using the proper workflow.

Play Play Play...