Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Technical Issues (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   How to remove geometry from pasted groups (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40162)

MKalman 01-02-2014 05:09 AM

How to remove geometry from pasted groups

I have multiple pasted groups from copying and pasting objects that I need a quick and easy way to remove all the geometry I have inside the groups without having to open them all and manually middle mouse click them away to make the work space cleaner.

Any help is appreciated,
I'm going to sleep hoping that in the morning there may be hope that the solution arises and I don't have to individually delete a bunch of groups. :D

bullet1968 01-02-2014 10:22 AM

Try the outliner mate, highlight said geo then CTRL h to hide it.

cheers bullet

MKalman 01-02-2014 02:16 PM

Thanks for the reply but the problem lies in the outliner, most of the pasted groups exist in the outliner and I'm trying to clean up the work place by not having any of the pasted groups just the geometry inside them

MKalman 01-02-2014 02:22 PM

Like I have a hundred or so to two hundred pasted groups from copying bricks and pasting them to make a fireplace, now I have A LOT of pasted groups :D hahaha, and I was dreading the act of removing all the bricks from the pasted groups and then deleting the groups simply because it would take an hour alone

stwert 01-02-2014 02:49 PM

It's generally not a good idea to copy paste, use duplicate and duplicate special instead and you can use instances. Anyway, try selecting all your Geo and shift p to unparent.

MKalman 01-02-2014 03:02 PM

I just realized that, "hmmm, what's this duplicate Cntrl + D" then I realized I should have used that the entire time and it would've been better. Sorry to bother you all, thank you for the reply. I appreciate this as I am migrating from C4D

MKalman 01-02-2014 03:04 PM

SHift + P has not worked, just took it out of the folder I had organized all that junk in named Fireplace, but thank you anyways. I will from now on start duplicating!

stwert 01-02-2014 03:09 PM

If you post the file, I can see if there's a simple clean up that will work.

MKalman 01-02-2014 04:57 PM

I sent you a private message with the mediafire link! Thank you for trying to help!

MKalman 01-02-2014 05:13 PM

Nevermind, to all who have my problem:

Shift + Left mouse button on the plus sign in a hierarchy will open up the entire list and makes it easier to clean if you screwed up hard like I did, thanks for the support though stwert.

stwert 01-02-2014 07:43 PM

Hmm, I opened the file and it comes in blank. Could be because I have 2013 and maybe you saved yours in 2014. If you save as .ma it makes transferring easier I believe. Anyway, glad you figured something out.

MKalman 01-02-2014 08:20 PM

I believe so, I do have 2014 which is probably why, and thank you, next time I need to transfer I will save as .ma I appreciate your help kind sir :)