Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Creating 3D movies like Beowulf (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28536)

Some Guy 23-12-2007 05:35 PM

Creating 3D movies like Beowulf

Hi all,
I just thought id share this with you.
I recently purchased a pair of 3D LCD Shutter Glasses from E-Dimensional
http://edimensional.com/index.php?os...43f4a1ce21b39.

Using Maya and Adobe after effects i have done some tests and i am able to create '3D' videos and images (like Beowulf and IMAX stuff) which can be viewed using these glasses.

I was thinking about making a longer animation using them but was wondering if there were any of you out there that owned a pair of Glasses for yourself? Because if no one is able to watch the animation i will probably only make a 2D version to save time because a 3D version involves rendering the entire thing twice (once for each eye).

I have done some tests and the effect works really well if done properly and i was thinking about doing a medieval matrix style fight scene type thing. I'd be interested in hearing a few opinions and ideas about how what i should do.

Peace out,
I hope some of you will be able to see a finished product in the next few months :cool:

jsprogg 23-12-2007 10:42 PM

Two pieces of red and green coloured film works although the rims require a bit more imagination ;)

Some Guy 24-12-2007 12:36 AM

I was experimenting with that too.
The good thing is that i can convert the renderings to any type of 3D display quite easily.

mirek03 24-12-2007 01:39 PM

The good thing is that i can convert the renderings to any type of 3D display quite easily.

i dont understand that at all, how many types of 3D display is there??

anyway, mate, as i see it (pun) you are wasting your time with these 3D glasses.., they have been done to death since the 50s.., no-one can bother putting on glasses for a fake 3D, 3D effect (??)

sorry i sound negative on all fronts here but im not, really, im a good guy (??) :)

forget it.., they make as much sense to me as the head phones they sell that are claimed to be 5.1 surround sound?? how is that possible with only two speakers?? (headphones).., 5.1 surround sound headphones?? i have some geat desert land going cheap around moomba you might be interested in :)

as some say here TRUST ME!!

ps, pencil canon.., id dig to see THAT!!

Some Guy 24-12-2007 04:51 PM

Hey Mirek, :)
to answer your first question,
There are about 3 or 4 ways of showing 3d.

One is interlaced where each row of pixels displays either the left or right image and cycles between them.

The second type is Page Flipping which alternately shows left and right images and the glasses block out either one of yor eyes so you only see the right image with your right eye so on.

Theres Classic Red/Blue anaglyph 3D like in old comics and movies

And then there is polarized which i don't really know how to do.

I think that 3D is making a comeback with new technologies like REAL D and stuff. James Cameron is really getting into it and about 5 new 3D movies are being released by 2009.

I dunno...

Also, i have decided the Pencil Cannon will be my next 3D model i make. ;)

mirek03 24-12-2007 09:15 PM

hey mate, when you put it that way, best you go for it, if its making a come back best you get into it.., someone has to and it may be a great thing for your CV.

so 3D works in a similar way to interleaved TV.., interesting.

which way to go?????? trends change so often and for strange reasons.., take the corporate polotics involved with the digibetacam and DV formats (actually i forget most of he story) .., digibeta was better and left to the side because of corporate $$$.., some such story, im rusty on it but i know it was all polotics and not a matter of which format was best. so, which way to go with 3D stereo.., have you got a crystle ball.

go go go.., a bit of all and your favourite the most.

cant wait for the pen canon

:)

Jay 25-12-2007 11:10 AM

3d movies are going to hit like a freight train sooner than you think. James cameron is shooting Avatar with a dual lens system, George Lucas is testing Star Wars Saga for it and rumour has it it looks awsome, there was a test done using Attack of the Clones a while back which worked out well, Jackson will put Lord of the Rings Trilogy into 3d too. Plus theres other stuff on the go too...So a fair bit in the pipe.

Its all done by cutting the image up really creating a paralax effect.

On the glasses thing, I was amazed at the lenses in Florida for some of the 3d rides, they were clear! They must have some sort of polarized lens I dont knowall the tech crap on them but if anyone has an idea how they work I'd be interested to hear the lo down on those.

mirek03 25-12-2007 01:41 PM

how is any one person expected to keep up with this sort of tech (3D ect). the only hope is we keep each other informed. (or spend our lives reading)

The Architect 25-12-2007 04:26 PM

3D glasses... nice... :)

But haven't they been around for ages? I think that the old SGI and HP workstations had support for them. The HP glasses were called Crystal Eyes or something...

Anyways, I think 3D is going to be real big in the near future - its gonna be in movies and maybe even games - if the graphics cards could handle them...

Some Guy 25-12-2007 06:54 PM

3D is in games already.
The glasses that i got automatically convert Open GL, and Direct 3D with their drivers. The technology has been around for a while but it is getting better with each new model. I was a bit skeptical about how they would work but they are as clear as looking at a monitor normally.
The way polarized lenses work (i think) is that two images are projected from a screen and each lens is polarized to only pick up on one of the images. I think they are a bit like Shutter glasses except less bulky.

mirek03 25-12-2007 07:00 PM

according to wikkipedia (sorry, the only referance i could find on short notice)

Polarized 3D glasses create the illusion of three-dimensional images by restricting the light that reaches each eye, an example of stereoscopy. To present a stereoscopic motion picture, two images are projected superimposed onto the same screen through orthogonal polarizing filters. The viewer wears low-cost eyeglasses which also contain a pair of orthogonal polarizing filters. As each filter only passes light which is similarly polarized and blocks the orthogonally polarized light, each eye only sees one of the images, and the effect is achieved.
The difficulty arises because light reflected from a motion picture screen tends to lose a bit of its polarization. However, this problem is eliminated if a 'silver' or Aluminized screen is used. This means that a pair of aligned DLP projectors, some polarizing filters, a silver screen, and a computer with a dual-head graphics card can be used to form a relatively low-cost (under US$10 000 in 2003) system for displaying stereoscopic 3d data simultaneously to tens of people wearing polarized glasses. Such a system, called a GeoWall, has been used for several years now in the Earth Sciences thanks to the GeoWall Consortium, with several open source and commercial packages available.
When stereo images are to be presented to a single user, it is practical to construct an image combiner, using partially silvered mirrors and two image screens at right angles to one another. One image is seen directly through the angled mirror whilst the other is seen as a reflection. Polarised filters are attached to the image screens and appropriately angled filters are worn as glasses. A similar technique uses a single screen with an inverted upper image, viewed in a horizontal partial reflector, with an upright image presented below the reflector, again with appropriate polarizers. Polarizing techniques are most simply used with cathode ray technology, as polarizers are used within ordinary LCD screens for control of pixel presentation - this can interfere with these techniques.
In 2003 Keigo Iizuka discovered an inexpensive implementation of this principle on laptop computer displays using cellophane sheets [1].
Polarized stereoscopic pictures have been around since 1936, when Edwin H. Land first applied it to motion pictures. The so called "3-D movie craze" in the years 1952 through 1955 was almost entirely offered in theaters using polarizing projection and glasses. Only a minute amount of the total 3D films shown in the period used the anaglyph color filter method. What is new is the use of digital projection, and also the use of sophisticated IMAX 70mm film projectors, with very reliable mechanisms. A whole new generation of 3D animation films are beginning to show up in the theaters, all using some form of polarization. Polarization is not easily applied to home 3-D broadcast or DVD presentation. At this point only anaglyph glasses may be used to view the new HD shows and are beginning to be aired occasionally by NBC and the Discovery Channel.
In optometry, polarized glasses are used for various tests of binocular depth perception (i.e. stereopsis).

The Architect 25-12-2007 07:01 PM

Games (by games I mean most of them) can support 3D glasses? I thought the graphics card and the software had to be done in a specific way so the glasses could properly alternate the images from one side to another. I dunno, I know nothing about 3D glasses except they're cool to own :)

Some Guy 25-12-2007 07:24 PM

For 3D in Games all you need is the glasses, an adapter and the correct drivers. it takes about 20 mins to set up.

The Architect 25-12-2007 07:36 PM

Some Guy > "For 3D in Games all you need is the glasses, an adapter and the correct drivers. it takes about 20 mins to set up."

Yeah, I just checked out the link for the glasses. They seem pretty easy to set up and use. I have to admit I never thought that you could just plug them in and use them to play games and that without special hardware support (I think in the olden days it was like this or something).

btw, did anyone notice that company also sells cds of swimsuit illustrated for use with their glasses? ;)

mirek03 25-12-2007 07:40 PM

is that the same company that sells the 5.1 surround sound headphones :) (im not joking)