Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   duplicate special (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34892)

se7enhedd 31-12-2010 03:05 PM

duplicate special

when using duplicate special, how can I specify that I want the duplicate(s) to be created right next to each other. i.e. if I want a row of boxes to create a 'pigeonholes' effect.
if i use the command on a new cube, and translate 1.0 in say Y, it works - i'm assuming the cube is 1 unit x 1 unit x 1 unit. if i scale the box, then enter the new size into the translate box, that works too. but i've created a slightly more complex object and tried the same thing and it's not working now...?

ctbram 31-12-2010 03:30 PM

.934 is a percentage of X not the x dimension of the boxes. The only way the scale factor and the X dimension would match is if the x dimension of the box was 1.0.

But do not panic we have ways to help!

1. harder way using duplicate special AND math math math....fading evil echo...

Determine the size of the boxes in the X dimension lets call that Dx then multiply that by 0.934 and put the resulting number in the translate x box of duplicate special.

or the easier way...

2. easier way using shift-D

2a. group the first column of boxes and move the local axis to the left edge - group the first column of boxes, press the w key, press the insert key, press and hold the c key, middle mouse gesture over the left hand edge of the box group to move the local axis to that edge.

2b. now duplicate the box group with shift-D or ctrl-D the first copy does not matter, press and hold the c key, middle mouse gesture over the RIGHT edge of the first group of boxes. This will take the duplicate group and snap its left edge to the right edge of the first group.

2c. The magic part! Now just keep pressing shift-D and make as many copies as you want! Each new copy will be made and shifted the same amount as the first copy and move.

se7enhedd 31-12-2010 09:18 PM

i've nearly got it - but the subsequent copies aren't shifted along....?

newsflash - it suddenly worked - I resigned myself to snapping them manually, did this for the next dupe then shift+d suddenly worked!!

ctbram 01-01-2011 02:32 PM

Sounds like you got it figured out now?

se7enhedd 01-01-2011 02:44 PM

yes, it doesn't seem to work first time round. but it gets there eventually.
i still have trouble with the snapping; using the mouse gesture sometimes inadvertently moves the pivot along the y axis too, when I just want to move it along x..

I have another problem now, which you might be able to help me with :) I'm getting edges and faces refusing to deselect - even if I create something new and select that, the components on the troublesome object remain selected??

ctbram 01-01-2011 03:31 PM

That is a bug that has been in the last couple version of maya. The only solution that I know of is the chose the component type that is stuck, then drag select the stuck components, then deselect and the stuck components will clear.

So in the above example - first chose edge mode, drag select all the stuck edges, then click in the ui blank area to deselect, then repeat for faces, chose face mode, drag select the stuck faces, then deselect.

se7enhedd 01-01-2011 04:59 PM

hmm, so it's not me then.
have you used 2011? - it seems to me there's bugs in the layers palette, clicking the checkboxes for visible/template/ ref etc. don't seem to work as I imagine they should...?

ctbram 01-01-2011 06:19 PM

layers check boxes work find for me. I use maya 2011.

se7enhedd 01-01-2011 06:22 PM

I've posted a video in the 'tech issues' forum - maybe i'm doing something wrong..