Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   new avatar trailer WOW!! (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32932)

anasasis 20-08-2009 11:19 PM

new avatar trailer WOW!!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avatar/hd/

tweetytunes 20-08-2009 11:21 PM

Although it has its own style to it - the cg looks cg at the mo, lets hope it does not distract from the story as this seems like another classic from Cam.

Joopson 21-08-2009 02:05 AM

You got me excited, I thought you meant "The Last Airbender" :(
Why did stupid James Cameron steal the title?

anasasis 21-08-2009 03:32 AM

james cameron had this film written down for about 14years so before the last airbender was even thought of so he didnt really steal the title

tweetytunes 21-08-2009 11:24 AM

I`m just glad he`s making films again - who cares what its called (or for the really bad usa paided for anime series which sucks)

NitroLiq 21-08-2009 01:36 PM

M Night Shyamalan is directing "The Last Airbender", which is different from Cameron's "Avatar" and I have to disagree that the cartoon series sucked...I enjoyed it quite a bit and the finale rocked. Actually talked with one of the guys writing the music for the series on one of the music gear forums.

Anyway, regarding Cameron's movie...Hate to say it but I'm just not getting the hype with this film. From a CG-POV, sure it'll be fun and interesting but I really hope there's a story and good acting underneath it all. The basic synopsis doesn't seem so different from most any other recent sci-fi film....space marines....aliens...one trying to rectify it all for peace....big battles...big tears...love....we'll see. I don't think I can take another video game masquerading as a movie, no matter how special the effects are.

stwert 21-08-2009 04:33 PM

I must say that it looks pretty epic and crammed full of special effects, but I wasn't that impressed with the effects, to be honest. I thought the aliens in District 9 (great movie, btw) looked wayy more realistic and convincing, and I'm sure the budget for Avatar will be several times more than it was for D9...
Go Weta! :)

mtmckinley 21-08-2009 04:46 PM

I don't know, I think the CG looks good. It doesn't look real or anything, but it look cool.

But as for the movie itself, I'm not interested...

NitroLiq 21-08-2009 05:23 PM

The problem really is that Cameron has been touting this movie like it's the "second coming" or something and it really isn't. That's not to say it's bad...there's great CG work but I don't believe it's going to be the "end all be all" he's making it out to be. The movie itself really has no appeal to me on an interest level but hopefully the reviews will be good and it will turn out to be a pleasant surprise.

mastone 21-08-2009 09:45 PM

At least its something different than fluffy bunny 3d stuff, what's it about, it looks to me like a movie where humanity isn't playing very nice(which is fine by me, I always found the peace loving startrek insanity a bit unbelieveable- Humanity the great intergalactic peacekeepers yeah right LOL-), but to me the why is unclear so i hope they let go a bit more about the story on their website.

If mr Cameron has worked on it for 14 years than it can't be that bad can it? although I do vaguely remember a certain 4th movie of a trilogy about a certain archaeologist which to me sucked big time :)

NitroLiq 22-08-2009 04:12 PM

You can read the synopsis here.

THX1138 22-08-2009 10:37 PM

Wow, alot of you folks seem uninspired from seeing a 2D teaser trailer that also consists of a few WIP shots. This seems to be the biggest problem with the 2D teaser. Anyone who has seen the 15 min in 3D at the comicon, or during the Avatar day ( yesterday ) will surely disagree. The 2D teaser pales in comparison to what you see in the theater. The 3D version blows that little teaser away. The detail is outstanding, the performances are fantastic, and the facial mocap in incredible.

This movie is going to kick major ass.

Here are some reviews from yesterdays "AVATAR DAY" that basically showed the same 15 min in 3D that was shown at the comicon.

LINK

NitroLiq 24-08-2009 02:51 PM

With due respect, pulling the 3D vs 2D card is off the mark. It's like comparing stereo sound to 5:1 surround or heck even mono to stereo, even. Of course it's going to look better in 3D. The underwhelming aspect, as stated earlier, is that Cameron has been spouting off how this is the most earth-shattering, blowing-the-proverbial-3D-doors, life changing technological wonder ever to be committed to film. And, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad...of course it isn't. I've heard the facial lip-sync is perfect...the environments look great...the blue aliens...I'm not totally sold on them yet (as you said...WIPs) but hopefully, the final results will be wicked. I'm sure it will be enjoyable and possibly I'll eat my words when it comes out. I just hope the story itself and acting is good.

mtmckinley 24-08-2009 05:52 PM

The CG could be the best ever in the history of mankind and it won't make the movie *good*.

I'm hoping for an actual good movie and not just eye candy.

NitroLiq 24-08-2009 06:31 PM

Egg-zactly.