Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   maya 2014 (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39213)

ctbram 23-04-2013 09:23 PM

maya 2014

Just got it installed. won'thave time to play with it for a bit but on first glance I did notice the main marking menu looked smaller. It appears there is no longer a edit subd or create subd primitives tab in maya 2014. Seems removing subd even as weak as it was in maya would have been worth mentioning somewhere.

Okay lets remove subd and not say anything maybe no one will notice. I rarely used subd as maya's implementation is really weak but I am sure there are people out there that are going to be really pissed it was stealth removed.

I like that they finally added all views (left, back, bottom) to the manin marking menu.

I'll try to play with it more this weekend. Hopefully it will not have the same problem I have had with maya 2012 and 13.

NextDesign 23-04-2013 09:37 PM

I don't think they're gone, they've just been streamlined. For example, when you use smooth preview, and you crease the edges, you're using subd's. They might have removed the menu set just because it didn't make sense to make a differentiation between the two anymore.

goggles 23-04-2013 10:54 PM

I have been trying 2014 since last week. Never noticed it was gone from the menu. I don't think it is the only thing they haven't mentioned about. I think it has much more bugs and limitations that they mentioned in their web site. And am i the only one whos annoyed by the selection changes? Or is it bec i am using a tablet while modeling.

ctbram 23-04-2013 11:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ND Maya's subds were never great (and I have pointed that out many times) but what they had was better then what they have now. I know you like to see the bright side of everything but removing the entire subd primitive creation menu and the subdiv surface menu is far more then "streamlining".

To call smooth preview a replacement for subd seriously don't you think that is stretching it a bit? What are you trying to get a job in autodesk marketing or something?

I would love to be on a plane with you are the pilot...The intercom crackles to life and ND the pilot comes on... Ladies and gentlemen some of you may have noticed boths wings and one engine has come off but do not be alarmed as now the plane is much lighter and more aerodynamic....(like a lawn dart)

NextDesign 24-04-2013 03:44 AM

Ha, no; I point out problems with the software all the time. I haven't used the new version, so it was only speculation. I took a look through the MEL documentation before post though, and the commands are still there, so I wouldn't say it was removed; perhaps "deprecated" would be a better way to put it?

You may think that I'm trying to push Autodesk products, which I'm not; but it seems you're a little too quick to jump and blame Autodesk for changing something. It's a new version, and things change, for better or worse.

Ps. With the plane example. If both wings and an engine flew off, I think you're screwed either way, might as well not cause widespread panic. ;)

ctbram 24-04-2013 05:02 AM

haha. I was just teasing yah. But they have actually removed the menu items. I assume they left the mel commands in just as they left the old split polygon commands. The subd's in maya were pretty weak and I ahve always felt they were only cobbled on in the first place so some marketing puke could say that Maya had subd's. I just tfeel that removing one third of the modeling types would have deserved an explanation rather then just let people discover it when they go to try and use them. I doubt many will use or even know about the mel commands to access them.

If nothing else it will make people wonder what else was removed and not mentioned.

Jay 24-04-2013 09:27 AM

http://forum.cgpersia.com/f32/missin...iv-menu-73251/

Jay

bullet1968 24-04-2013 09:48 AM

Oooohhhhhh CGPersia....