Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Thylacine (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25195)

Hoshi87 23-02-2007 04:21 PM

Thylacine

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,

I've been working on this for a while and wanted to share it today. I've been modeling a thylacine or tasmanian tiger. For those of you who've never heard of them, they were marsupials in Australia and Tasmania and officially went extinct in 1936.
I still have to make her nose, refine the body a bit, and add fur but this is how she looks so far.

Hoshi87 23-02-2007 04:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another view...

Hoshi87 23-02-2007 04:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And another...

mirek03 24-02-2007 12:24 AM

true blue and bloody well alright I reckon!

NeoStrider 24-02-2007 06:56 PM

thylacine to me sounds more like an amino acid than a marsupial, but the model looks pretty ok. the mouth/snout section might need a little work, but i have no photo references to work from to make an accurate synopsis.

Hoshi87 25-02-2007 07:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for your replies. There are lots of pictures if you go to google images and type in thylacine. I've been working on modeling it a little more and now I'm happier with it. I'd like to add fur to it but as you can see in the picture I attached the UVs are very uneven. I don't know the first thing about UV mapping and was wondering if someone could help me with getting them even...

mirek03 25-02-2007 11:21 AM

can you just 'rebuild'??

someone willl help!!

Hoshi87 25-02-2007 12:38 PM

I don't know :( I made it using subdivs, only its eye and a few teeth are nurbs. I tried attaching a fur description to it but Maya froze...I converted it to a polygon and attached fur no problem but there were only a few strands of the stuff. I then converted it to nurbs and the fur went on fine except for a few areas. But the thing is, there are over 1000 pieces when I convert it to Nurbs....and with all that fur on over 1000 pieces my laptop struggles. Is there a way to convert to Nurbs without it making all those pieces? :confused:

mirek03 25-02-2007 10:01 PM

there is a node that lets you display the amount of painted objects in percentage so it lessens the load on the computer, works for plants and stuff, 'fur' I am not sure, also you should be able to thin and manipulate the fur anyway you want via the AE.

seek and ye shall find :)

mirek03 25-02-2007 10:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here it is.., it is at 100% at the moment but as you lessen it, it will take the load off your computer and you can easily move about the scene. what will happen is the hair (or any paint effects) will LOOK less but makes completely no difference to the render, all the hair is still there even if you have it at 1 % and can hardly see anything.., i use this method every time I use any paint effects.

gster123 25-02-2007 10:16 PM

Could you show a poly wireframe?

You might need to tweek some of the areas to get a nice flow of even geo and to try to keep the topology to quads.

Have you UV mapped it?

Hoshi87 26-02-2007 02:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you Mirek! I'll try that.
I don't think it's been UV mapped...I tried following what Maya's help files said about it and chose automatic mapping. The UVs look the same as in the screenshot I posted earlier.
This is the poly wireframe you asked to see gster.

mirek03 20-03-2007 02:12 AM

hi crew, hows it all goin?? I have a friend making a doco that will most likely go to air.
she needs one of these creatures, this ancient .., marsupial.

If you like, I cant remember who is actually making it.., if you like, she would love to use this model for the show (if you can animate it).., what say you??

cheers. ( of course all credits and ethics will be adhered to.., it is professional.)

I just aint good enough

Hoshi87 20-03-2007 11:47 AM

Wow really? I'd like to help out if I'm good enough. I was planning on animating it...can you email me some info about what your friend is planning on doing? (Hoshi87@gmail.com)

Hoshi87 20-03-2007 03:49 PM

Update

1 Attachment(s)
::Update::

Fur needs to be seriously combed...but at least I finally got it to work. Has anyone ever gotten a "Fatal Error, saving in temp..." message? That's what pops up whenever I try to comb it...