Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Help with sword (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1196)

mrmacca 18-09-2002 03:33 PM

Help with sword

1 Attachment(s)
I have my drawing of a sword, which i'm happy with but now it comes to modelling, i'm having probs. I've been trying to apply the same principals to this project as in the sword tutorial in the VIP section but it's not working out. The big problem is the handle, specifically the center which is principally square running into cylinders. This is where i have problems, square to circle doesn't seem to go. Anyone got advice on how best to model the handle? Lofting worked great for the blade.

Thanks guys.

Nem 19-09-2002 05:12 PM

lofting wud b the best idea

mrmacca 19-09-2002 08:11 PM

Thanks for the reply. I've looked at lofting but haven't been able to pull it off yet.

Nem 19-09-2002 08:44 PM

what u having trouble with?

mrmacca 19-09-2002 09:12 PM

I'm just having troubles with the whole process. I could use circles and loft in one direction, from the left cylinder over to the right cylinder but that till leaves the handle for the main cylinder. This probably doesn't make sense, hard to explain until you try it. Thanks for taking the time to help though.

Nem 19-09-2002 09:16 PM

i think i understand what ur problem is, you're trying to attach the handle to the main sword?
if its polys, just cut away the intersecting sections and attach the 2 models, if its nurbs, just detach some curves and do some more lofts
u can always convert the model :)
which method are you using?

mrmacca 21-09-2002 12:54 AM

The problem is trying to attach the 3 cylinders to the center piece of the sword handle, because it's squarish in shape and i'm trying to connect to cylinders it just looks nasty. Best i got was wit polys but that wasn't too clever.

Nem 21-09-2002 11:16 AM

well u just detach bits where the cylinders join on the centre piece, then use a fillet to attach them
and u can just move the cylinders out of they squash, or use less nurbs circles (or whatever you're using to loft)

mrmacca 21-09-2002 02:56 PM

Thanks for the help Nem

Nem 21-09-2002 03:04 PM

no prob :) just pm or email me if you need anymore help

wolv275 21-09-2002 06:35 PM

you can try birailing the surfaces?

but lofting seems easiest?

for example make a square, (not cube) then a circle and loft them,
or make a square and attach two cv curves and loft??

either way just playing with the controls should yield something worth keeping....

post your image when you are done ;)

peace

Nem 21-09-2002 06:37 PM

make sure you rebuild the curves so you have the same number of CVs tho, otherwise itll look ugly

mrmacca 21-09-2002 08:24 PM

Still not sure how the lofting is going to work. The square is rotated 45 degrees to the cylinders.

Nem 21-09-2002 08:57 PM

i can see the problem you having, its cos nurbs squares are made up of 4 nurbs curves (well, lines) and when you shift select the square, u have to select all the curves, so i think ud have to attach all the sides of the square to each other first