Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Modeling (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   moving polys with precision (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13073)

strytus 16-08-2004 02:20 AM

moving polys with precision

i'm doing some modeling in maya and was wondering if there was a "translate input dialog box" while being in sub-object mode? i noticed that while i'm in vertex mode, after selecting my vertices, i get the CVs translate box where my channel box is, but is there a transform box when i'm in face or edge mode?

for example lets say i have two vertices selected. one is located translate 1 and vertice two is located translate 3. is there a "translate input dialog box" to move each vertices exactly two inches over. and no i cant just "do the math" because in my model i have 20 or 30 vertices selected at once.

hopefully you guys understand what i'm talking about. maybe someone who has a lil bit of experience in max.

thank you
strytus

Darkware 17-08-2004 12:41 PM

Not that I know of, but the way I usually do stuff like that is snap a cube's corner to a vertice I'm going to move, then translate it over 2 inches or however far I want. I then select all the vertices I want, change the pivot point to the vertice I snapped the cube to, then snap to the corner of the box. Sort of complex I know, but if you know what you're doing it's really fast and easy.

strytus 18-08-2004 03:10 AM

if i understand you.. basically you're using the box as like your measuring unit? or measuring stick????

Darkware 18-08-2004 03:07 PM

yep

Alan 18-08-2004 04:43 PM

you can do it, if you select some verts and then look at the channel box you will see a dialog that says "CVs click to show". That will give you a channel box that lists the verts and their transforms. I think it's relative to the object though but give it a try.

Alan

Darkware 18-08-2004 08:08 PM

that is true, but usually those numbers are crazy and impossible to manipulate correctly. You'd still have to change each number for each vertice, too. :\ But hey, still give it a try and maybe it'll work. Maybe you'll get lucky. ;-)

strytus 19-08-2004 02:36 AM

yeah i did see the cv show thing to the right. it was ok, but thanks for the tip. it was only relative and not absolute. i was just hoping there was something new in maya 6 that might have helpful. thanks everyone

Alan 19-08-2004 08:22 AM

you could do it with the xform command in mel and write a little interface for it (Or i'm sure there must be one out there somewhere)

xform can move the selection in worldspace coords and so do exactly what you want.

Alan

strytus 01-09-2004 04:21 AM

I finally found it

hey guys.. after being bored and messing around with with maya... i figured out how to do it, and was hoping maybe it could be of some use to you guys if it ever need be.

basically on your status bar, there's a "sel with an arrow pointing down". when you click on it, a drop down list appears. you can then click on "numeric input: relative". Then you can input the amount of spaces you would want you vertices to move. Pretty awesome... it's not as complex as 3d Maxs, but it'll do.

thanks,
strytus