Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Dragon (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5316)

nspiratn 20-04-2003 07:34 PM

Dragon

1 Attachment(s)
Hey

This is the early stage of my dragon that I worked on last night.
Still haven't got to the claws.

nspiratn 20-04-2003 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thats my wireframe :) Just incase

~nspiratn.

caligraphics 20-04-2003 07:44 PM

cute :)

nspiratn 20-04-2003 07:46 PM

Won't be as cute when the claws and fangs/teeth come in. Hehe.

Thanks though :)

Alan 20-04-2003 08:26 PM

it's looking good, the only comment I would make is that your mesh is looking quite heavy in terms of polys. Especially on the wings and the part that runs through the head past the eyes. You could represent that same detail with less polys (which will be better for you when you come to texturing it)

It's an excellent start though and if it only took one nite then that's even better! :D

Alan

nspiratn 20-04-2003 08:30 PM

I made the wings using the birail n tool. Maybe I should try redoing that with lesser polygon count.

Ummm... how could I do the same thing around the eyes without those isoparms? If I try to pull the hull around without inserting those isoparms, I don't get the results I want.
Should I just move the control vertices then?

Alan 20-04-2003 08:51 PM

sorry I didnt appreciate that this was a nurbs model!! :D I really dont know much about nurbs so I cant really comment on what you said. I'm sure someone who knows more will post soon though. Good luck with it.

Alan

Kurt 20-04-2003 09:18 PM

Good start mate....

nspiratn 27-04-2003 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ah! FINALLY got time off from school to work some more on my Dragon last night.

Here's what it looks like now.

Sil-Valeor 28-04-2003 08:18 PM

Hey, that looks verry good, really!!!Keep up! only wings....I don't like something about them, don't know what (I don't mean shape)....but verry good model!!! :)

BTW, I'm trying to make a dragon myself....I'll post screenshot in my thread....but I have some problems with wings. I'll describe it there. I'll give a link later.

Good luck with model! ;)

nspiratn 28-04-2003 10:15 PM

I know what you dont like.. its the legs.. :) they're not attached to the body yet. hehe.

Not sure what else it could be... it still needs some muscle detail ofcourse.

nspiratn 28-04-2003 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am facing a slight problem when I try to patch model that dragon. Stitching the patches leaves hard edges and that looks ugly...

Hey Kurt , can you help me out with that? How did you stitch yours together?

thanks,
~nspiratn

twisteddragon33 28-04-2003 10:58 PM

Looks nice. Except the head seems a little large for the body size, and the wings are too far forward which would make the tail sag down with the legs throing it off balance and it would fly near standing up.

the wings seem... too flat, too hard. like they are flat sheets of metal with joins. mayb i suggest "sagging" them, almost like a canopy help up on 2 ends.

Very nice though.

nspiratn 29-04-2003 12:11 AM

Thanks for the tips ...

I'm working on the wings right now. And I ldo see why the dragon would be off balance, thanks a lot for pointing that out :)

adldesigner 29-04-2003 12:24 AM

Hey, Nspiratn

That´s a good looking model you´re working on. :)
As per the patching issues, all I can say is, it´s no easy feat what you´re attempting. There´s no easy point-and-click solution for patching nurbs models.
I really do recommend Mike´s Nurbs Shark video*, since there you´ll realize how many issues are at work here. If you want to look them out yourself, looks for UV Spans and Parametrization, Rebuild Surfaces Action, Stitch and such.

*Available here