Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finished Work (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Earth (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28273)

sunny10471 25-11-2007 04:13 PM

Earth

1 Attachment(s)
Hmm, What do you guys think

Rhetoric Camel 25-11-2007 04:19 PM

it looks pretty good. I don't know if you're interested in making it photorealistic, but if you are this thread might be of some help to you: http://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...ghlight=planet

anasasis 25-11-2007 06:30 PM

looks great i think it needs some atmosphere clouds though just for a bit more realism but besides from that looks great good job on the lighting to

sunny10471 25-11-2007 06:34 PM

Thats nice, i am really interested in that kind of work but thats too detailed for me. I don't think i can handle that right now. I was just practicing planner,spherical and cydrical mapping. I haven't come to bump mapping yet. That was a nice earth who ever made.

I just got hungrier. ;)

Thanks,

Referring to
http://forum.simplymaya.com/showthr...ighlight=planet

arran 25-11-2007 07:06 PM

yeah - not bad. the image looks a little dark though and i think the sun could be a bit bigger. definitely some clouds and a bit of a bump could really help this.

sunny10471 25-11-2007 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hmm! For a beginner, i have tried my best to add clouds and make details. I have also played with the bump mapping.

But i can't seem to make the clouds darker like it should be.
Any suggestion?

sunny10471 25-11-2007 08:16 PM

hmm!

sunny10471 25-11-2007 08:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)

sunny10471 25-11-2007 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Any suggestions!:attn:

Mayaniac 25-11-2007 10:23 PM

Ok..... Suggestions!!

First things first... Get a better looking and higher resolution image to use as the earth surface. You could probably find one on Google... if Not i think i have an old one laying around on my hard drive i could post latter.
I think it's a nice night shot of the earth.... lots of pretty lights... :attn:

Next your going to need some stars in the background... this can be done with a simple image plane.

To get a better looking clouds you could do either of the following.... Create a new sphere around the first sphere, and map an Alpha image of some clouds. Add a slight Bump map, and this should look ok.

If you don't want to create multi spheres, you could overly the clouds with an alpha channel over the top of the earth texture using a Layered shader.... again apply a Bump map and see how it looks.

Now for some finishing touches... Create a sphere a tiny bit larger than the original, apply a Blinn shader, and in the Blinns attributes under special effects, turn on Glow effect, now check the hide source box (so that in the render you can't see the second sphere, you can only see a faint glow..... Now to make sure the glow looks right. Go to the Blinn shader with the Glow effect on, and change the color to a bluish with a haze orange (you can accomplish this with a ramp shader).

Well I'm going to end it here and see if this makes any sense to you. :confused:

If your having problems setting things up, just post back and i would be glad to go through it slowly.

Hope this helps. :beer:

starjsjswars 25-11-2007 11:26 PM

google earth map for a map thats 6400 x 3200.

sunny10471 26-11-2007 12:00 PM

Hmm!

Mayaniac Thanks for sharing your knowledge,
really apreciated.

Yeah! i was thinking about changing the source image for the earth. I will definately do everything you said. Using the image plane for the stars is a good idea. I didn't think about that. Thanks. :attn:

I did not understand using alpha image. :confused:

Other then that i will try to make my earth look good.
YES! You made me hungry. :beer:

gster123 26-11-2007 12:08 PM

Dunno if its me but it seems stange where the light source is, as the sun's at the back but its lit form the front?

Mayaniac 26-11-2007 12:18 PM

Well, I'm glad i could help :beer:

An Alpha, is like any image except the background behind the object imaged is transparent.

These sort of images are used all the time in production, especially in Game art..... As they have the ability to make a 1 poly object look as though it were modeled with hundreds..... though don't be fooled they are only 2D images and have no depth, thus they don't make up for a real object, but when used correctly they can be quite convincing ;)

@ gster123: Your right about the lighting, the only problem is, if he lights the earth from behind, all we would see is a black image. So he will have to change the angle at which he takes the render. So that it looks more realistic.

Anyhow, if you have any questions just post them here, and I'll do my best to answer them.

Have fun.. :beer:

sunny10471 26-11-2007 01:40 PM

Yeah! I Need that on my clouds, like i want coulds to be visible but not other stuff thats on that image, so how would i do that?

About the light, I will fix that up once i have got done the texture part.
Don't worry.:attn: