Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   microphone (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28566)

banksta 26-12-2007 10:01 AM

microphone

I have decided to redo my portfolio and add 7 small scenes and 3 big scenes. I am so much better at modeling from practice than I was when I was in college, so it's time to upgrade. This is one of my small pieces. I am going to try to texture it as realistic as possible. I am still learning how to texture so I have made multiple copies of my scene so I can get crits and start over if need be. Here is the model.

twisteddragon33 26-12-2007 12:07 PM

im not sure if you made the design yourself or if you are going off of something else but that looks really unstable. I suggest if you have the option to make the stand either bigger, or a different style to help make it more stable. Just seems very top heavy. Other than that im not much of a texture person sorry.

elephantinc 26-12-2007 05:37 PM

I agree, i dont think the mic would stand up

banksta 26-12-2007 09:23 PM

No the stand is the exact size it's suppose to be. I have this mic and thats the stand its on. I thought the same thing when I bought it, that the stand was to flimsy but it works.

banksta 26-12-2007 09:58 PM

Re: microphone

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by banksta
I have decided to redo my portfolio and add 7 small scenes and 3 big scenes. I am so much better at modeling from practice than I was when I was in college, so it's time to upgrade. This is one of my small pieces. I am going to try to texture it as realistic as possible. I am still learning how to texture so I have made multiple copies of my scene so I can get crits and start over if need be. Here is the model.

banksta 26-12-2007 10:00 PM

I made the legs a little longer but thats all I will change on the model, because thats exactly how it looks in real life.

elephantinc 26-12-2007 10:28 PM

THe mic must be pretty light then
even if that is how it is in real life you may want to change it
cause people looking at your portfolio will probably think the same thing

banksta 27-12-2007 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by elephantinc
THe mic must be pretty light then
even if that is how it is in real life you may want to change it
cause people looking at your portfolio will probably think the same thing

You have a point elephantic, I just wanted to make every piece as accurate as possible for now. I thank everyone for there input though.

twisteddragon33 27-12-2007 02:28 AM

Sometimes you might have to sacrifice reality to go with the norm. Sometimes people have images in their heads of how something should look and if you stray too far from that, even if in reality it should it still effects the look of the model.

Even though in reality the base is correct, experience dictates it should fall over because of the size of the mic and the center of gravity. There are some situations where its best to use a more commonly recognized model with good textures than an accurate one with good textures.

elephantinc 27-12-2007 03:04 AM

Dont get us wrong
its a great model ;)

twisteddragon33 27-12-2007 08:08 AM

i agree the modeling looks nice.

Does the head of the mike have a felt/cloth cover or is it wire mesh or something else?

A reference image of the actual mike would probably help in identifying what some problems might be if there are any.

And im not sure about the lighting. It looks very unnatural to have a light so close above the mic and so strong, wouldnt it blind and heat up the person using it?

banksta 27-12-2007 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by twisteddragon33
i agree the modeling looks nice.

Does the head of the mike have a felt/cloth cover or is it wire mesh or something else?

A reference image of the actual mike would probably help in identifying what some problems might be if there are any.

And im not sure about the lighting. It looks very unnatural to have a light so close above the mic and so strong, wouldnt it blind and heat up the person using it?

I guess I could play with the light drop off some, but I was always taught to not always make the lighting to natural unless your making every single element around natural. I want the mike to stand out thats why I did the lighting that way. Also from my experience unless you use a high wattage light which I have with a lamp that shines like this, it doesn't throw of a lot of heat. I will take a pic of my mic and post it.

banksta 27-12-2007 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here is the reference.

Mayaniac 27-12-2007 12:07 PM

The render you posted kinda resembles a Smoky Pub, on karaoke night ;)

Which isn't a bad idea for a scene ;) Just throw a full size Mic stand and go with it...

:beer:

banksta 27-12-2007 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I decided to make the legs a little fatter, maybe it will look a little more stable that way.