Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   square nurbs or nurbs square? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10810)

Binabik 06-03-2004 01:37 PM

square nurbs or nurbs square?

This is probably a stupid question, but i have the hang of nurbs in general, nice, curvey nurbs.
the thing that drives me crazy is trying to get sharp edges, for example, a square.

case in point: I click the create nurbs square button, a nice square comes up in the work area, but the edges are not attached?!! i'm like wtf, that's not a square !! it's just lines.

Now here's the thing, i can attach 3 of the sides together with the attach curves tool, and by playing with the settings, can keep sharp edges on it.
but i can't close the last corner.

i tried 'close curves'
and connect this and that, but it either won't connect the 2 verticies on the corner, or it creates a curve, not a corner, and it's a pain in the ass trying to wrestle that curve into the shape of a corner, and it slows down and kills my work flow.

I read the help and tuts and docs, but can't see anything, although knowing me it's probably staring me right in the face,
any solutions to this prob? thanks guys.

Adam.

ctbram 07-03-2004 04:23 AM

Try modeling>create>nurbs>plane instead of square.

Binabik 07-03-2004 05:39 AM

no, i want the square, not solid, but as the outline, made from curves.
so that i can loft it with other shapes, etc.

orgeeizm 07-03-2004 06:22 AM

this is how i do it:

when you initially make the Nurbs square, set the Degree to 1.

then start attaching the first 3 curves with the following options:
- attach method: connect
- multiple knots: remove
- keep originals OFF.

select the LAST curve and do a reverse curve direction.

now you only have the last curve to attach, but before you do, delete the history of all 4 curves.

select the last curve, THEN the main curve that you have attached and press the Attach Curve command, now you have a closed single nurbs square.

delete all history of the newly attached curve.

go into CV mode and youll see extra cvs lying around, you should delete them, but you dont have to.

hope this helped :)

mtmckinley 07-03-2004 07:30 AM

Nurbs do not naturally form sharp corners, although you can force them. If you need squares and the like, I recomend polys.

Binabik 07-03-2004 12:03 PM

how do you make poly lines?

say i want the shapes, to loft an object, from them.

also. say i have a poly cube, and i want to bevel the edges, to make them not sharp, so they look more natural/realistic.

i tried bevel, but they don't round properly, they just sorta squish along the top of the cube.

there is chamfer vertex but i can't find chamfer edge :(

mtmckinley 07-03-2004 01:50 PM

You cannot create polygon edges without createing a face in the process. I don't think you understood my comment... obviously if you want to loft something, curves are involved, which polygons do not use. You can loft with polygon edges, though I'm not sure what you are trying to make.

Edit Polygons > Bevel IS "chamfer edge."

ctbram 07-03-2004 03:40 PM

I can't tell from what you are describing what it is you want to do with a square made from nurbs curves but....

The default degree of a nurbs curve is 3 which means sharp corners are difficult to make. (see Mike's reply).

You can form a periodic square (with sharp corners). I would do it by making 4 degree 1 straight curves and then attach them.

However, you could do this:

1. create>nurb>square
2. select each curve from the square and then select edit curves>rebuild curves options and set the degree to linear, uniform, 0 to span and rebuild each curve.
3. now attach each curve and on the last curve select edit curves>close/open curve

and viola you now have a single period sharp corner square of nurbs curves. You will also have a bunch of left over nodes from the original square. You can just delete them all.

http://home.comcast.net/~rmulawa/may...are_nurb_d.exe