Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finished Work (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   please critique my portfolio (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27585)

tony_m 23-09-2007 01:40 PM

please critique my portfolio

hello everyone,
i have recently created my portfolio website. I am currently looking for a job, and need critiques to better my work. Please feel free to speak your mind. Keep in mind the about me page is still not finished as i have a hard time talking about myself.

www.fmstudios.ca

tweetytunes 23-09-2007 02:40 PM

having empty gallery slots is not a good move - you find yourself waiting for the gallery page to come up not knowing there is nothing there (parts 5,6).

Also the images are really bad quallaty - you need a better rez versons of them because at the mo the images are just to pixurlated.

Jay 23-09-2007 03:16 PM

Remove Empty Slots as suggested, and I'd lose the audio bar and the rotating model window as they both distract you from the galleries. Up res the renders too and the street stuff I'd leave out as it looks unfinished.

Cheers
Jay

tony_m 23-09-2007 03:23 PM

hey JAY and TWEETYTUNES,

thank you for replying, I will definitely render out high res images and re-upload the images. I am still gathering up some more renders for gallery 5 and 6. Besides the resolution of the images is there any critiques about the 3d work.

gster123 23-09-2007 05:15 PM

I would include some wireframes of the models, just so that people can see the poly flow of the model as its a bit hard to crit whats there without seeing the topology.

Some of the materials could do with some work, the cars too refelective in the street shot, and theres quite a bit of re-use of the car in the street scene (3 of the same car)

edit - Also there verry little to no shadows on the car close up shot, making it look like its floating

23-09-2007 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would recommend not doing a Flash website. If you really want it, don’t make it open in a separate separate window, and make it have a fixed size. When it opened in my browser, it was about 50px x 50px. Also, with a fixed size, none of the images will get screwed up.

Also, I found a bunch of spelling errors that you might want to fix (on your website and in your résumé).

As for the résumé, I would make it a .doc file, not a .pdf. People don’t like waiting long times for pdfs to open.

Now, on to the demo reel. First thing I noticed was that you made the height of the file too small in the html (see image). I can’t really crit too much on the demo reel, because it was really too small. I guess my one suggestion on the demo reel, would be to make it bigger.
:beer:

DJbLAZER 23-09-2007 08:16 PM

The link http://www.fmstudios.ca/ doesn't work at all... that's not very good isn't it....

edit: now it worked.

As said by others, if you have to use flash, don't scale it, as the images look like crap upscaled with flash.

Quote:

As for the résumé, I would make it a .doc file, not a .pdf. People don’t like waiting long times for pdfs to open.
If someone wants to read a paper they want it in pdf 99% of the time. And what about "waiting long times"? My adobe reader opens in 1-2 seconds.... and what do you open a .doc in? You might not even have a progam to open .doc-files in.... not everyone have Office/Staroffice etc. installed.

23-09-2007 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DJbLAZER
If someone wants to read a paper they want it in pdf 99% of the time. And what about "waiting long times"? My adobe reader opens in 1-2 seconds....
True, but most résumés are in .doc format. 1-2 seconds? Maybe it’s because my computer is old. And the pdf opens in my browser, not Acrobat.

Quote:

and what do you open a .doc in? You might not even have a progam to open .doc-files in.... not everyone have Office/Staroffice etc. installed.
I seriously hope you’re kidding. I’ve never come across a computer user (especially one looking at résumés) that doesn’t have Office installed.

tony_m 23-09-2007 09:36 PM

hey guys,

thanks for the reply, i've actually considered all the advised that was given.

Jr. who i looked over the website and the resume along with running a spell check but found none. Can you please point one out for me. thank you.

DJbLAZER 23-09-2007 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jr.Who
True, but most résumés are in .doc format. 1-2 seconds? Maybe it’s because my computer is old. And the pdf opens in my browser, not Acrobat.

Your pdf opens in the Adobe Reader Browser-plugin. And Office probably takes longer to load than Adobe reader.

I seriously hope you’re kidding. I’ve never come across a computer user (especially one looking at résumés) that doesn’t have Office installed.

Office can't be installed on Unix. Sure there are programs to read .doc-files there aswell, but anyhow there's a bigger chance someone can read a pdf than a doc. And .doc suxx compared to .pdf.

24-09-2007 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by tony_m
hey guys,

thanks for the reply, i've actually considered all the advised that was given.

Jr. who i looked over the website and the resume along with running a spell check but found none. Can you please point one out for me. thank you.

I’ll PM you. ;)

Quote:

Office can't be installed on Unix. Sure there are programs to read .doc-files there aswell, but anyhow there's a bigger chance someone can read a pdf than a doc. And .doc suxx compared to .pdf.
And how many users use Unix, compared to Mac OS X and Windows?

Did you also notice that Maya doesn’t even run on Unix?

DJbLAZER 24-09-2007 12:35 AM

When I say Unix I also include Linux which Maya is available for.

tweetytunes 24-09-2007 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jr.Who

well i don`t - cant stand the bloody program - all bells and whissels Microsoft crap. -

what you should do is post a cut down version (main details) on your site so they have instant access to it no matter what software they use and include both pdf and doc files as well to download and read another time - giving people a choice gives a good impression.

gster123 24-09-2007 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by tweetytunes

what you should do is post a cut down version (main details) on your site so they have instant access to it no matter what software they use and include both pdf and doc files as well to download and read another time - giving people a choice gives a good impression.

Exactly, not arguing over pears and apples, give both and let em choose

marlonjohn 24-09-2007 06:45 PM

"I seriously hope you’re kidding. I’ve never come across a computer user (especially one looking at résumés) that doesn’t have Office installed."

I gotta admit that, that has happen to me once lol :p

About the portfolio, id rather stick to one song rather than two from my personal view. All the other crits have already been mentioned, goodluck ...