Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   UV planar mapping and seam technique question (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10735)

greenleaf 02-03-2004 01:14 PM

UV planar mapping and seam technique question

I'm new to texturing and modeling and have just modeled my first polygonal character. I've moved onto planar mapping it in different sections now, however I have a question (or two..). Once you planar map the different sections of the body, do you need to sew the bits together (as with the automatic uv mapping technique too) in the texture editor 'before' transferring the UV snapshot to Photoshop? I started texturing the different maps in Photoshop,but then realised (after a few hours..) that maybe I needed to have sewn the pieces together beforehand in the texture editor? Or do you sew the pieces back together after the texturing is done or will that just distort everything?

Also the other thing I'm struggling with a bit, is getting rid of the seams that appear when I apply the texture to the model. I created a base colour (green) on one layer in photoshop, then on another layer I started say, painting in details for say, the torso. When you get to the inside edges of the uv map, do you hold off the detailing/painting and let the underlying base colour (green) take over? How far in from the edge do you know where to stop as that's where I'm having a real problem. For some reason, I'm still getting a seam, or something that looks like a texture all around the body until it reaches the back of the torso and I get the green colour but it doesn't look convincing. Is it to do with blending the colours together well to meet a neutral same colour between the 2 edges?

Thanks in advance,
:alien:

maya4todd 03-03-2004 06:16 PM

greenleaf,
A nice little technique I've been using with great success is creating Quick Sets of selected polys to map textures.

The basic approach is to start by selecting an area of polygons that you want to texture. I prefer to use Paint Selection tool to do this since it makes it much easier to select polys.

For instance, select the polygons on the arm between the wrist and the shoulder of your character. Go to Create > Sets > Quick Set, and give the selection a name. Repeat for the remaining areas of the character.

When it comes to Mapping you want to use the type that is best for the area being mapped. In the case of the arm selection (between the wrist and shoulder), once you have those polygons selected you will want to use Cylindrical Mapping by going to Edit Polygons > Texture > Cylindrical Mapping.

The cylindrical mapping controls will appear. You will want to rotate the mapping shape to match the arm, and grab one of the red squares to close the mapping until its touching the other red square. Then change the size of the mapping cylinder so that it begins and end at the wrist and the shoulder. Be sure the "seam" (where the two red squares meet) is behind the side that will face the camera.

When you open the UV Texture Editor, it should now show that portion of the arm. Repeat the mapping to the rest of the character. Applying appropriate mapping depending on the part of the body you're mapping.

When you're done mapping the character, you can merge edges and vertices in the UV Texture Editor. For instance, you can merge the wrist of the hand with the part of the arm you mapped earlier. You may only be able to merge only so many parts of the character before you have to start work on the texture. This is where you get rid of the "seams" in your textures.

This site has excellent tutorials on texture mapping, etc. So you might want to look around the free and VIP video tutorials for more. I'm at my day job, so I can't generate any screen shots to better convey my suggestions.

greenleaf 04-03-2004 07:47 PM

Hi,

Thanks very much for the advice. I tried doing the thing where you merge the torso halves and then paint the texture in photoshop. Looks like you need to have a lot of experience doing this stuff! I still am tryin' to get over the seam 'thang'. It's still buggin me. I remember Mike mentioned in a reply to me in another post that it will come with practice. Your advice was very helpful - thanks. I guess I will keep practising with the UV mapping! Also I saw Craig's video tuts on UV mapping which also helped a lot in understanding how UV mapping and texturing works. Good tutorials!
:)