Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   'Sheriff' Sub-D Head (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11282)

Jay 04-04-2004 04:57 PM

'Sheriff' Sub-D Head

1 Attachment(s)
Hi People
This is a character I'm working on for a Sci Fi 3d graphic novel, the difference being its going to be spaghetti western style!!!
This guy is the sheriff character, his clothing will be like Clints in Unforgiven (sort of)

dragonsfire 04-04-2004 05:03 PM

Very Nice !

Jay 04-04-2004 05:38 PM

Thanx. Its about 6hrs work with uv's included

NitroLiq 04-04-2004 06:59 PM

Nice work, Jango. What modeling method are you using?

Jay 04-04-2004 10:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What Method? Not sure what you mean. Do you mean how it started? Its made from a poly cube and and converted to sd's after about 2 slices into the mesh. No 'level edits' either just 'level 0' straight thru. Have attached a 'Rough' 4 you

Jay 04-04-2004 10:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And the clothing, which I have just finished doing uv's about half hour ago!!

anita 04-04-2004 11:59 PM

oh waouuu very nice lines I would have sworn its a patch model if I hadnt seen the poly version ..great job ..amazing ur fast too!
plus you seem to know what ur doing .where did you learn modeling??

NitroLiq 05-04-2004 12:32 AM

Sorry, my bad. I didn't read the sub-d bit in the topic. Very impressive work.

Jay 05-04-2004 08:59 AM

Nitro: No probs dont worry, I get stuff wrong all the time!!!

Anita: Thankyou!! My modelling has come a long way in 4 years, I used to work for a company where we worked with characters day in day out, so I got to know the human body quite well. The days where very long on average of about 14hrs, so apart from going blind my modelling has improved a bit.

vladimirjp 05-04-2004 12:03 PM

what will u use for the cloth sim. syflex or maya cloth.
either way can u give an over view of you setup for the cloth

Jay 05-04-2004 12:15 PM

Hi Vlad
Sorry neither of them, I'm using Maya Complete, I cant afford Maya Unlimited just yet for the cloth, and I tried a demo of the Syflex plugin last year, its a bit too much set up time still but it calculates a lot quicker than Maya Cloth which is great!!!
I'll be using SDK on blend shapes for the clothing , even though I wont be doing any animation. I'm doing a 3d graphic novel so it will just be the poses and facial expressions that will matter the most.
The blend shapes will control things like sleeves, Jackets and other loose bits of clothing so they will look right once they are posed
Cheers
Jango

Jay 05-04-2004 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well here he is again; Just spent the last 45mins or so doing the first bit of texturing, looking okayish, needs a bit more time tweaking the uv's around the nose forehead and neck though!!
Enjoy!!!

MainlineX 05-04-2004 11:30 PM

Excellent work!! I ike the way your ears came out. Nice job!

RickStefani 05-04-2004 11:41 PM

Great modeling so far. Reminds me of Firefly, story wise. They are going to make a movie from the TV show but it will be called Serenity. It trully was an awsome show. Sci-Fi western sounds weird untill you also think that was how Han Solos characture was set up also. I look forward to seeing updates.

GreyFox 06-04-2004 12:50 PM

Space and the Western theme are linked by the whole idea of outlaws, etc, smugglers, pirates (train robberies, but agains space ships), etc...

The models looks great :)
Keep it up! ;)