Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Optimizing computer for Maya (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13969)

Drought 16-10-2004 12:27 PM

Optimizing computer for Maya

Hello all,

I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop with the following specs:

32 MB GeForce 460 Go video card
512 MB Ram
Intel Pentium 4 2.2 Ghz CPU

I often have problems with lag in Maya. Can someone tell me what to do to optimize the computer or things I can do in Maya to reduce lag?

Thanks in advance,

Drought

Psuedo Realizm 16-10-2004 03:30 PM

a new video card wouldnt hurt, although i dont know much about laptop video cards... everything else is perfectly suitable for maya. Some people prefer to have atleast a gig of ram also (such as me) but 512 is supposed to be the minimum and when i had 512 in my old machine running this software it seemed to work for me. your processor is pretty nice, i wont even have to comment on that... all in all to make story short.. get a better video card, everything will run better....with the specs you have now.. that card has to be bottle necking your system

gohan1842 16-10-2004 04:23 PM

i have a 64 meg geforce card and 320 megs of ram. and a 1.3 ghz
processor and maya runs well for me.

Pony 16-10-2004 06:48 PM

where do you see the lag ? when doing what ?

512mb is "minimum" your ok as long as you don't have to much loaded at a time.

Drought 16-10-2004 11:41 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I wasn't even aware that I could change the video card on the laptop. I thought I was pretty much stuck with what I have.

Pony, I am currently doing Kurt's dog modeling tutorial. Things start out fine, but I get the lag after I put the reference plane up and begin adding the geometry. When you say, "too much loaded at a time", I am assuming there is something that can be done at this point to relieve the strain on the system? I deleted the history, but is there perhaps something else I could do?

Drought

Psuedo Realizm 17-10-2004 02:48 AM

well if your video card is integrated i dont know if you can upgrade.. like i said i dont know much about how things are set up internally on a lap top as i've never owned one.. but on a desktop if you have an inegrated graphics card you either have to buy a new motherboard (which if you have an HP you cant do becuase for some reason they dont use ATX cases) or go with a PCI graphics card.. which is the cheapest alternative

Pony 17-10-2004 03:16 AM

well if it slows down when you pan around the sceen thin its lickly the video car. If its slow when you pull verts around thin its probably a ram prob.. expecaly if it only happence once you get a lot of polys in there..

if your not always useing the image plan's for ref.. you can speed things up buy terning them off. make a hot key for it if you want. Need help with that just let me know.

Drought 18-10-2004 04:02 AM

Ok, thanks for the advice guys.